The Capt Charles Yancey family of  early Louisa County, Virginia

and their establishment of Yancey Mills, Yanceyville, Louisa County, Virginia

Library of Virginia image

Photo about 1936.

More detailed info about the Mill

A History of Louisa County, Virginia - By Malcolm Harris - page 438

"The Yanceys were living in Louisa about 1742.   The records show that Robert Yancey was
 dead and his widow Temperance [Dumas] Yancey alive in 1746. 
Charles Yancey lived at Yanceyville.  
He and his sons organized Robert Yancey & Company, successful merchants, millers and distillers
 at Yanceyville about 1800.  David Yancey was a lawyer, and, from his will probably died at Kingston [Jamaica]. 
Neither he nor Robert was married [before passing away young]. Their property went to their sister's heirs, the Crawfords and Kimbroughs"


 

Information concerning Charles Yancey and his wife is found in the following book:

“ Laurus Crawfurdiana - Memorials of that branch of the Crawford Family
 which comprise the descendnahnts of John Crawford of Virginia 1660-1883” published 1883.

 [page 29]

 Mary Crawford, eighth child of David Crawford, granddaughter of Capt. David Crawford – born August 8 1742 in Hanover Co., Va.  She removed with her father to Amherst in1750.  She married February 2 1762, Capt. Charles Yancey of Louisa Co., where she was born May 10 1741.

 In the year 1770 they moved to the residence which is still (1883) in the hands of a descendant (Dr. Nathan H. Crawford) being known as “Locust Grove” and situated one and a half miles from the County Court house of Louisa Co.   Mr Yancey bought this house of a man named Thomson , together with one hundred acres of land, and in after years added to his plantation, till at his death he was the owner of some fifteen hundred acres.   With reference to this ancient mansion, Dr Crawford writes:  “the front rooms of this house (that is the two front centre rooms above and below) were here in 1770, and all additions here are more than fifty years old.

 Respecting the personal appearance and characteristics of Mr. Yancey, the same authority informs us: “He has been represented to me as low in stature and fleshy, a black eyed man with swarthy complexion, as a man of irascible temperament, indefatigably industrious and stirring.   The Yanceys were broad shouldered and corpulent.  “Our side” says Dr Crawford, “inherit their quick bilious temperament from the Yanceys.  Grandpa Yancey’s mother was a French lady by the name of Dumas.  Capt. Yancey is said to have died of dropsy, caused by a diseased liver.   His death occurred January 9 1814 in his 89th year. 

 Mrs. Yancey was of a very quiet disposition, but firm as a rock.  She had those characteristics  of the Crawford family – firmness and fearlessness.   She was fleshy with large light blue eyes.  Of a large family of children, she outlived them all, and died at Locust Grove of pure old age on the 27th of April 1841, aged 98.

 


Bible Record of Capt Charles Yancey.

Letters between Charles Yancey and Daniel Boone


 

 

(Robert Leighton Yancey [1770-1808] along with Father - original owners of Yancey Mills)
[Additional info]
 

Silhouette of David Yancey (1777-1807) brother of Robert Leighton Yancey
[Additional info]


From "Travel" Magazine.