OBITUARY OF JAMES GRACE WOOD
James G. Wood, a man who had contributed a great deal in various ways in the up-building of the north end of Davis County by converting the sand ride into a garden through irrigation and better farming, died at the hospital in Ogden Saturday morning (10 August 1918) following an operation the Saturday morning before for appendicitis. The appendix had ruptured before he left home to go to the hospital. After the operation he was believed to be recovering as not even the nurse at the hospital seemed to realize that the end was so near, as his family had not been notified in time to be present at his death.
The deceased was born in Bountiful and would have been 66 years old on the 30th of next January. He was the son of Daniel and Sarah Grace Wood. His father was one of the earliest settlers of Bountiful.
With the exception of about seven years when he was on a mission and in Oregon and Wyoming, he has lived in Davis county.
Dec 14, 1874, he was married to Alice Corbridge and on April 12, 1883 he married Susan Stoddard who together with the following children survive him: Mrs. Sarah Sessions Alma of Wyoming; J. C. Wood, Malad; Mrs. Mary AniX,,Allen, Riverdale; Mrs. Hazel Thornley, Layton; Loy Wood, Clearfield; Melvin G. Wood (on mission in Texas); Lena, Susan and Charles S. Wood. Four of his children proceeded him in death. He also had 30 grandchildren.
In April 1883, he left on a mission to Virginia, being absent from home two years and seven months. After he returned from his mission he spent about four years away from home, most of the time in Oregon. After his return from Oregon, he moved his family on the Sand Ridge, then Syracuse Ward, now Clearfield.
He was chosen first counselor to Bishop Cook and when the Ward was divided and the Clearfield Ward was organized, he was made Bishop.
Twenty years after he had returned from his mission, he visited the same mission field again.
It was during the time that he was Bishop that the meeting house and amusement hall were built.
He was the first man to demonstrate that a large yield of grain could be raised on a dry farm in this locality by the proper tilling of the soil, he being the first to raise 40 bushels of wheat to the acre. He also showed the people how to get a large yield of lucern by the proper irrigating of the same. He never wasted any water but made every drop count.
He supervised the construction of the dam for the reservoir in East Canyon, Morgan county, which has meant more to North Davis County in an agricultural way than anything else that has ever been accomplished.
A number of years later, he was in charge of the lining of 9 1/2 miles of the Davis & Weber Countys canal leading down from the mouth of Weber Canyon.
He was always a very active church worker. In addition to his filling a mission, all of his sons filled missions and he also defrayed the expenses of a lady missionary who was not a member of his family.
He devoted most of his time this summer, promoting the sale of war Liberty bonds, thrift stamps and war savings stamps.
Funeral services were held in the Clearfield meeting house, Tuesday, at 2 P.M. The speakers were: William C. Sessions, Levi Taylor, Pres. H H. Blood, Apostle McKay, Bishop David Stoker. Several solos and duets were rendered. There were numerous floral offerings and it was estimated that 1200 people attended the funeral. The High Council attended in a body. Automobile cortege and interment in the Syracuse Cemetery.
The above was copied from an old newspaper clipping in the scrapbook made by Mary Wood McCarty Sanderson, now in possession of her daughter, Alta McCarty Brown.
Typed from typed photocopy by
Norma Jean M. Wood
10 July 1991