Byron L. Harsh, grandson

My grandmother Henrietta Wood Harsh, was born 9 August 1854 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, to Daniel Wood and his wife Laura Ann Gibbs his third wife. Grandmother died 11 March 1945 and is buried in Ogden Weber, Utah. She married Henry Harsh 26 October 1873. This couple had seven children as follows. Della, born 25 July 1874 in Evanston, Wyoming, unmarried; Eleanor born 11 May 1875, Woodruff, Utah, married Robert Pender; Elenda, born 11 February 1877 at Corine, Utah, married Thomas Rumsey Parker; Joseph Henry, born 18 October 1879, Malad, Idaho, married Fannie Bouton Merrill; Katherine, born 18-19 December 1882, married George Hubbard; Alexander, born 20 May 1886, Ogden, Utah; Frank Elmer, born 17 May 1886, Butte, Montana, married Zina Rachel Monson. When my father Joseph Henry reached the age of twelve years, his father was killed between two freight cars, as he was employed by the railroad. I am not sure where. My father was the oldest son, and the railroad, feeling partly responsible for grandfather's death, hired my father and gave the job of shining the brass trim to him. I suppose the pay was not enough to make ends meet, so Grandmother went to the church and asked for help and was turned down. I guess that's where the change of religion started. She was Christian Science thereafter and taught her family the same. I am sure she was taught the gospel as her parents were faithful Latter-day Saints. Daniel was converted in Canada and came here with Brigham Young. He gave the ground on which an LDS chapel stands today and is still being used. I have met many of the Wood family. I have been a board of Director for some twelve years. They are very talented, very musical, and very spiritual, a fine family. I never saw my grandmother untidy, she stood tall and looked her best at all times. She wanted the best for her family and herself. I suppose her earthly things meant more to her than the spiritual things, as I am sure some traits still linger among us today. My uncle Alex and Uncle Elmer provided for her in later years. My grandmother and my mother were never very close, as I was growing up. My father and I would visit her; she made few visits to our home. Sometimes I think back and wonder if she resented my mother or the fact that she would loose a provider. I have a slight notion that Grandmother had some influence in the separation of Uncle Tom and Aunt Elenda. Our family lost track of all those who moved to California. My grandmother was at one time President of the Utah Ladies Auxiliary, Grand Army of the Republic. Grandfather Henry Sr. served in the Revolutionary War, 1777-1778. Also the Philadelphia County Militia and that part of the county where lived became Montgomery County. He moved to Washington County and died about 1815. Uncle Tom and his produce wagon would call on mother and Grandmother Merrill.

Retyped from a copy by
Norma Jean M. Wood
28 October 1989