Pioneer Wood Cemetery Due For Renovation Operation
BOUNTIFUL, Nov. 6--The Wood cemetery in West Bountiful, probably the oldest burial place in Davis county, is being built up to the level of U.S. highway 91, after which it will be landscaped and beautified. It is located immediately west of the highway a short distance north of the road to Woods Cross.
The work is being done by a Salt Lake construction company under the direction of Henry D. Moyle, member of the council of twelve apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose grandmother was Elizabeth Wood, a daughter of Daniel and Mary Wood.
The cemetery was started on Aug. 27, 1858, after Nathan Wood, five-year-old son of Daniel and Emma Mariah Wood, was killed in a fall from a wagon. The father came to Utah in 1848 with the third company of Mormon immigrants and homesteaded a 160-acre farm at what is now Woods Cross.
He set aside a plot of ground in his orchard for a burial ground and Nathan was buried there under an apple tree. As a result it became known as "Nathan's burial ground."
The diphtheria epidemic of 1860-62 saw four more graves added when four of his children died of this disease. In the diphtheria epidemic of 1876-78, his son, Peter, and his wife-Launa Pace Wood, lost all three of their children and they were buried in the cemetery.
The infant daughter of Daniel C. wood and Elizabeth Waddoups Wood was buried in the cemetery as were three Indian children, survivors of the Blackhawk war of the 1770s, who were adopted by Daniel Wood. The Indians proved easy marks for diphtheria and two died in 1870. The third died in her teens of tuberculosis.
The iron fence which has surrounded the burial ground was designed and made by Joseph C. Wood, father of Mrs. Joseph F. Naylor, Bountiful, who has spent considerable time on research to learn the history of the cemetery. The fence will be painted and replaced as soon as the plot is brought up to the level of the highway.
The name of the cemetery was changed [sic] in 1872 from Nathan's burial grounds to the Daniel Wood cemetery. His first wife, Mary Elizabeth Snyder, died during that year and was buried in the cemetery. All six of his wives are buried there and the last burial was that of Margaret Wood, the last surviving wife who was buried around 1911.
The beautification project resulted from a family meeting on Decoration day, 1948. Another meeting will be held this fall to decide on the type of surfacing to be used.
There are 32 graves in the cemetery, all of them identified. When Daniel Wood died April 15, 1892, at the age of 92, he was buried in the cemetery. He left a small legacy to take care of the burial place. The late James Henry Moyle, father of the apostle, administered the fund when he was alive and added to it when he died.
Plans to move the cemetery have been discarded after being discussed for a time. Highway 91 would have passed over a part of the cemetery if the original survey had been followed. A slight curve was made in the road, however, so it would miss the cemetery.
Typed from-photocopy by
Norma Jean M. Wood
7 July 1991