Families bearing the name were found at early dates in all parts of Great Britain, most frequently however in England and Scotland. One of the first of them to emigrate to America was William Wood who came with his brother, John, from Derbyshire, England in 1635 and settled in Concord, Mass. Descendants spread to practically every state in the Union and have aided as much in the growth of the country as their ancestors did in the founding.

The Anglo Saxon name of Wood or Woods was of local origin, derived from the residence of its first bearer living in or near a wood.

As far back as has been traced is to this John Wood born about 1650, in Derbyshire, England, who married Johanna Hackleton (or Heglington) Jan 12, 1682, and we find the baptisms of four children listed in the Kingston Dutch Register, and are as follows:

Our Ancestor Edward, son of John, had a family of ten Children (see Wood Genealogy) among whom was Daniel Wood who married Margaret Turner Feb 2, 1762, and in their family of nine children was Henry Wood, and in the year 1800 we find him and his family living in Ulster County, New York, where his parents and also his grandparents were born. He married Elizabeth DeMilt or DeMille, and the raised a family of fourteen children. Their second son, Daniel Wood, married Mary Snider, and they were the parents of Harriet Wood who married Hiram John Yancey, Jr. Nov. 22, 1863.

Henry Wood and his family were called Loyalists. He moved his family across the Canadian Border, then called upper Canada, to the little town of Earnestown. The land in that territory was divided by the English Government into what was called land grants and given to the people who would come in there and settle and till the soil. They lived at this place about five years when they moved to Loughborough, a little town near Sidneyham, situated north of the Great Lakes. Here Henry and his wife reared their family of nine boys and six girls making it a point to start their sons out with 40 acres of land, one yoke of oxen, two cows and ten sheep.

Elizabeth DeMilt (or DeMille) was the daughter of Garret DeMilt and Magdalena Emigh (Amey). She was born in 1779 in Duchess Co., N. Y.

Garret DeMille was the son of Benjamin DeMille and Elizabeth Garret and was born about 1748, Prob. Duchess Co., N. Y., and died 1826, Coalsville, Broome Co., N. Y. Benjamin was the son of Anthony DeMille Chr. 1685 and Maria Provost. Anthony was the son of Isaac DeMille and Joosten Van Sysen. Isaac was the son of Anthony DeMille and Elizabeth Van Der Liphorst, who were md. 1653 and came to America from Holland in 1658. Anthony was a baker by trade. He died 1689.

Daniel Wood was three years old when the family moved to Canada. He was the second son and the second child in the family. It was in the town of Loughborough that he met Mary Snider, daughter of John Synder and Elizabeth Amey (or Emigh) who also had lived in N. Y. and moved to Canada, and it was in Earnestown that Mary was born on Nov. 25, 1803. They were married March 9, 1824 and started out with the apportionment received from Daniel's father and prospered in the place for eight years and three of-their children were born here.


All of the Wood family were staunch Methodists. One day two Mormon missionaries came to this little town to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Daniel was so impressed by the Doctrine that he could not forget it or pass it by. These missionaries only preached a few times but they left the people in the little village with a strong desire to investigate and be baptized, and by continuing their meetings as best as they could alone. Daniel became so convinced that he should be baptized, that he requested it of a Methodist Minister. Shortly after this, Brigham Young and his brother, Joseph Young, came to preach and explain the order of the Church more perfectly and had the privilege of leading the little prepared band down into the waters of baptism. Daniel and his wife were baptized Feb 17, 1833 by Brigham Young.

Daniel was ordained an Elder and remained and preached until the summer of 1834. They sold everything they could and take with them and left for Kirtland, Ohio. It was hard for them to leave their nice home, but they were happy in their new religion, and felt by the promptings of the Lord that they were doing his will.

Arriving at Kirtland, they were welcomed by James Lake whose family they lived with until they bought a farm about four miles from Kirtland where they remained four years. One child was born here, Harriet, Dec. 21, 1834.

During this time the Kirtland Temple was built, and Daniel was called to guard the temple and Prophet Joseph Smith's home to keep the mob from tearing them down. While in Kirtland they prospered and built up a nice home. But by the spring of 1837, their enemies drove them from their home, and they started for Missouri, landing in Davis Co., Mo. on June llth where they took up a new farm, but was unable to remain on account of the mob, so about the lst of October they went to Far West and moved into a house with three other families. Food was very scarce as they had to leave all they had raised in Davis Co. So Daniel went in with the mob called soldiers and with the rest gave the number of his family and received his rations. They not being aware that he was a Mormon. About the first of February, they left for Nauvoo, Ill. When they left, they had a team of oxen and a cow to pull their wagon. After traveling for some time, they sold their cow and bought a yoke of steers and a dress for his wife. The month of February was fine weather so they made their bed on the ground. Daniel always taught his family to never deny that they were Mormons for fear of persecution.

Since leaving their home in Canada they had suffered most everything but death. Daniel bought forty acres of ground about 18 miles from Nauvoo. Here the mob followed and his son stood guard night and day while his mother was sick and unhoused. Here in Nauvoo Daniel became acquainted with an orphan girl, Peninah Cotton, and married her.


It was not long until the Saints were organized into companies for the great move West. They landed in Salt Lake in the fall of 1848 after many weeks of travel. Looking down over the valley in joy and gratitude, they were happy they were at their journey's end, but they soon learned that the bounteous crops had been devastated by the crickets and for the next twelve months, they lived like the rest of the Saints on thistle and sego roots and cooked raw hide.

After arriving in the Valley, they immediately went to Bountiful ten miles from Salt Lake City and built the fourth house in that settlement. It was the first on Mill Creek and was located where the county road now runs just a little south of where Simon's house now stands. In about two years he located his farm having 180 acres. Four years later he undertook the mammoth task of building a large adobe house and completed the main part and soon added the back rooms. This was the largest and best home in this part of the country at that time.

His family being quite large, he started school in his own home. His wife, Emma taught and as soon as possible he employed a male teacher. The school continued the greater part of the year, his own children faithfully attending. He obtained good support from the outsiders. Thus his school was a good start for the new country a thousand miles from civilization.

In 1860 he built a family meeting house about 20 x 30, one story with basement and belfry from which came the welcome chimes of his $70.00 bell. To this beautiful building he moved his school. Meetings were held every Wednesday night and on other special occasions. He had a choir and a string band, in his own family, and he was not too sanctimonious to have a jig even at his family meetings.

One-evening when Joseph Young was present, the band started up and Daniel jumped to his feet and showed those present how nimble he was. The general public was invited and they responded well as he often had good speakers from the City and elsewhere.

Every Christmas while others were feasting, his family was fasting and having meeting of prayer and making right the little misunderstandings and disputed of the year. These meetings were continued until quite recently.

He was in Canada when the Utah Central Railroad was put through his field and the depot located on his ground. The family wrote him the particulars which did not please him, and when he came home it was late at night and when the conductor awoke him by announcing the name of the station, Woods Cross he replied, "Yes and dam Cross too."

Daniel was a great worker in his day. Even at the age of 75, he could take a hand with most of the younger men. He lived to be a good old age, ninety-two, and his eye sight was good enough to read the Testament and Doctrine and Covenants and these were the only books he read. His firm frame might have been seen plodding along the street only a few weeks before his death. The day before he took sick, he sat in his little private cemetery on his farm where he had twenty-five of his family laid and showed his daughter where he wanted to be put away, to rest. This little treasure was his main one of late and he kept an old armchair on it in which he passed many hours.

He leaves a large family to mourn his loss as he had ten wives, thirty-two children and about a hundred grandchildren. His funeral services were held in the East Bountiful Tabernacle at 2 p.m. P. G. Session, Richard Duerden, E. Page, David Stoker, Joseph F. Smith, and Heber J. Grant were the speakers. Taken from the "Davis County Clipper" of Bountiful, Utah, Friday, April 29, 1892.

One passes the family cemetery on the highway a short distance north of Bountiful, Utah. It has an iron fence set in a cement base. In the center stands a monument to Daniel Wood. Most of the headstones have fallen away. This cemetery was reconditioned by the Wood family in 1950.


Wife b. abt 1654 of Derbyshire, England, Dau of Frances Hackleton and Hannah Wakeman


Margaret chr 26 Jan 1683 Peter Van Luwen
John chr 20 Sep 1685 Hannah Ward
William chr 31 Aug 1690 Anna
Edward chr 13 May 1698 Susanna Scott (Schott)


b. 15 May 1698 Kingston, Ulster Co., New York Wife b. abt 1702 Albany, New York, Dau of Patrick and Marjory Wilding or Wilden Scott


John chr 12 May 1723
Maria chr 12 Sep 1726 Peter Frolick
Edward chr 23 Apr 1727 Catherine Vandermarken
Regena chr 23 Feb 1730 Peter Wandermarken
Anna chr 25 Mar 1731 Henry Sharp
Lydia chr 24 Feb 1733
John chr 6 Jul 1735
Daniel chr 12 Feb 1734 Margaret Turner
John chr 26 Apr 1740
William chr 17 Jul 1743


chr 12 Feb 1738 Kingston, Ulster Co., New York
m. 2 Feb 1762
Wife b. abt. 1742 of Ulster Co., New York,  Dau of Jacobus and Katrina Hornbeck Turner


Catherine chr 23 Apr 1763 William Turner
Susanna chr 25 Oct 1754 John David Bontry
Edward chr 17 Aug 1765
Jacobus chr 9 Apr 1769 lst Elizabeth, 2nd Maria
Nancy chr 21 Feb 1771
Daniel chr 14 Nov 1773 Marie Hyman
William chr 8 Jan 1776
Henry chr 18 Jul 1777 Elizabeth DeMille
Margret chr 31 Aug 1779


chr 18 Jul 1777 Rochester, Ulster Co., New York d. 8 Dec 1850 Earnestown, Ontario Co., Canada Wife d. 19 Oct 1844 Sydenham, Ontario Co., N. Y. Dau. of Garret and Magdalena Emigh DeMilt or DeMille


William A. 16 Sep 1799 Martha C. Purdy
Daniel 16 Oct 1800 Mary Snider
David 17 Jan 1802 Elizabeth Spike
Jacob 4 Nov 1804 Rebecca Simpson
Martha Moon (2nd)
Abraham 4 Mar 1806 Permelia Spike
Henry, Jr. 14 Apr 1804 Rachel Spike
Sarah 5 Dec 1809 David McMillan
Christine 28 May 1811 Merit Simpkins
James 28 Dec 1812 Jane Davidson
Mary 19 Jul 1816 David Irving
Elizabeth 23 Mar 1817 Jesse Burley
Lavina 6 May 1819 Thomas Smith
Hosea 12 Aug 1821 Emeline Topcliff
Nathan 6 Oct 1821 Hannah Purdy


b. 16 Oct 1800 Duchess Co., New York
m. 9 Mar 1824
d. 15 Apr 1892 Woods Cross, Utah
Wife b. 25 Nov 1803 Earnestown, Ontario, Canada, Dau of Elizabeth Amey (Emigh) Snider


Henry 9 Jun 1825 (d. 1845)
John 10 Apr 1830, 1st Amelia Langford, 2nd Lavina Langford
Rebecca 11 May 1833 John Moss
Harriet 21 Dec 1814 Hiram John Yancey Jr.
Elizabeth 20 Dec 1839 James Moyle
Catherine 25 Aug 1842 (died young)
Mary (twin) 25 Aug 1842 (died 20 Jan 1921)

Typed from copy of original by
Norma Jean M. Wood