John Cope Dean was born 1 Jan. 1853 at Audley Staffordshire, England to Charles Dean and Mary Cope. He was the oldest son or in fact the eldest child of a family of twelve children, eight sons and four daughters. Mary Cope was the daughter of John Cope and Hannah Stratham. Charles Dean was the son of Thomas Dean and Betty Darlington.

John's parents joined the church in England and came to America on the ship the "S.S. Underwriter". They left England 23 April 1861 when John was eight years old and they arrived in Salt Lake City on Sept. 13th of that year. On the day they departed England (April 23, 1861), a son named Underwriter Dean (named after their ship) was born and died the same day. The baby was buried at sea in the Atlantic Ocean.

They crossed the plains in Homer Duncan's wagon train with Elder Charles W. Penrose who with Edward Cluff and Bingham Cook had converted them in England. They settled in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah working on the Jedediah M. Grant farm. They went hungry a lot of the first two years here and suffered the hardships of the pioneers. At one time they were on their fourth day without food when Wm. S. Muir sent them a hundred pounds of flour, thus saving their lives.

John Cope Dean was baptized in Bountiful by Judson Tolman on 21 June, 1862 and ordained an Elder in 1868 and a High Priest in 1906 by Rulan Belnap. He was called in 1870 by Brigham Young to go to Kanab, Utah and help settle that country. The heat caused him to have hemorrhages of the nose so that he was released to come home. He was not content to always work for other people so on the fifth of July 1871 in company with William Reed he went to Woodruff, Rich Co. Utah and made preparations for his family to make their home there. He met Elizabeth Howard in Woodruff when she went to visit her sister Mary Ann Howard Tolman and brother Samuel Howard who lived there.

John Cope Dean and Elizabeth Howard were married 9 Oct. 1877 in the Church Historians Office by President John Taylor with Orson Pratt and his daughter Dora Pratt as witnesses. The Endowment House was closed at the time and it was too late in the season to go to the St. George Temple as that was the only temple then in use. They got their endowments at the Endowment House on 4 May 1882 and were sealed by Daniel H. Wells. In 1884 they went to the Logan Temple and had their two children sealed to them that were born before they had their endowments.

It was so hard to raise grain in Woodruff because of the cold weather and stock raising was too hard on father because of his hernia that they decided to move to Vernal, Utah. President Taylor came up there for conference and he told every one to stay in that country. Father went up after meeting and talked with him and he promised father that if he would stay he would have more grain than he had room for. This promise was literally fulfilled in less than three years .

He had another strong testimony when he was in the hospital at Rock Springs, Wyo. to be operated on for his hernia. There were two Mormon Elders and they blessed him before the operation. While in the hospital they took off his garments but his nurse put them back on him. She told him that she was a Latter Day Saint, but not to let them know and she would be his nurse all the time. On the fourth day he asked the doctor to look at his incision, the doctor thought it was bothering him, but he looked and found it to be perfectly healed. After mothers health broke they moved to Blackfoot, Idaho in 1905. Father took up real estate and farming. He bought a place in Groveland, some four miles from Blackfoot in 1912 and lived there until his death 28 Jan. 1937. For several years before his death they had spent their winters in Logan working in the temple.

Record of John Dean Family

John Cope Dean Born Jan. 1, 1853 at Audley, Stafford, England. Blessed Sept 19, 1859 by Ben Cook at Audley. Baptism June 21, 1863 at Bountiful by Judson Tolman. Confirmation June 21, 1863 at Bountiful by Judson Tolman.

Elizabeth Howard Dean Born Feb. 20, 1859 at Staffordshire, Audley England. End. Baptism Mar. 23, 1873 at Bountiful by James Beard Confirmation Mar. 23, 1873 by Atkinson.


Mary Elizabeth Dean Born Mar. 5, 1879 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed April 3, 1879 at Woodruff by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism May 21, 1887 at Woodruff by Samuel Bryson. Confirmation May 22, 1887 by Samuel Bryson.

Matilda Ann Dean Born May 27, 1881 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed June 17, 1881 by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism July 13, 1890 at Woodruff by W. H. Lee Confirmation July 13, 1890 by S.C. Putnam Death Aug. 19, 1904 at Groveland Idaho.

Lucy Caroline Dean Born May 27, 1883 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed June 17, 1883 by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism June 2, 1891 by J. H. Neville. Confirmation June 2, 1891 by Byron Sessions.

Julia Dean Born Oct 24, 1885 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed Nov 15, 1885 by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism June 10, 1894 by Samuel Bryson. Confirmation June 10, 1894 by Byron Sessions.

Sarah Jane Dean Born Nov. 1, 1887 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed Nov. 27, 1887 by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism May 3, 1896 by Daniel Cornia. Confirmation May 3, 1896 by Byron Sessions.

Eliza Dorothy Dean Born Nov. 3, 1889 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed Dec. 5, 1889 by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism Nov. 6, 1897 by Samuel Bryson. Confirmation Nov. 7, 1897 by W. H. Lee.

Luella Dean Born Sept. 22, 1891 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed Oct 18, 1891 by Charles Dean Sr. Baptism Sept 22, 1899 at Woodruff by John Dean. Confirmation Sept 29, 1901 by Geo. A. Neville.

Emma Dean Born Sept. 27, 1893 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Baptism Sept. 29, 1901.

Arlinda Dean Born Sept 1, 1895 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed Oct 13, 1895 by Charles Dean Sr.

John Wilford Dean Born April 4, 1897 Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed May 2, 1897 by J. M. Baxter Death Oct 11, 1898 at Woodruff.

Agnes Dean Born Dec 13, 1898 at Woodruff, Rich, Utah. Blessed Feb 5, 1899 by John Dean. Baptism by John Dean, Confirmation by John Dean


Taken from the history book of Woodruff, Utah- "100 Years of Woodruff"

John Cope Dean came to Woodruff, Rich County, Utah in 1871, where he engaged in raising cattle and working on a cattle ranch. In the spring of 1877, Elizabeth came to Woodruff to visit her sister, Mary Ann Tolman. John soon became very interested in the Tolman residence and especially the charms of Elizabeth. They were married in the Church Historian's Office, October 9, 1877, and established their home at Woodruff. This marriage was later solemnized in the Endowment House, May 4, 1882.

John continued in the cattle business and Elizabeth kept herself busy with her family and raising turkeys to help supplement the family income.

They were the proud parents of' ten girls and one boy. The children are as follows: Mary (Mrs. Frederick Brown, brother of' Bert Brown). Fred died and Mary later married Parley P. Black, Matilda (Mrs. Jens Sorensen), Lucy, (Mrs. J. L. Wilson), Julia (Mrs. A. W. Hale): Sarah Jane (Mrs. Samuel Chapman); Dorothy (Mrs. Emron Yancey); Luella (Mrs. Ephraim Sorensen); Emma (Mrs. Elmer Taylor); Arlinda (Mrs. Nephi Sorensen); John Wilford Dean (died in infancy); Agnes (Mrs. Clarence C. Cox).

Because of ill heath of' Elizabeth, the family moved to Idaho in 1905. Being true pioneers, they took their eighty acres of ground out of sage brush and set up their farm at the small community north and west of Blackfoot, called McDonaldville. They continued farming the eighty acres until 1908, at which time John went into the real estate business and moved the family to the city of Blackfoot, where they resided until 1913. At this time, they moved to their home in Groveland, a short distance from Blackfoot, where they farmed a small fruit farm.

They both passed away at their home in Groveland. John passed away on January 31, 1937 and Elizabeth in May of 1940. John had many church positions and at the time of his death was a High Priest. Elizabeth was in the presidency of the Relief Society for many years, and also president of the Primary and other positions in the Sunday School, etc. They were both very strong in their beliefs, both in the church and in civic affairs. They were able to give their girls an education, being able to send the oldest ones to college. Their children who lived to maturity, were all married in the temple and have reared fine families of their own.

The following is a story of John Dean written by his daughter Emma Dean Taylor

John Dean moved to Blackfoot, Idaho from Woodruff, Utah in about 1900. My sister had moved to Blackfoot, in fact two of my sisters had married and moved there. Then one sister died when she was a young woman about 23 years old. Mother was too ill to go with him went to the funeral. When he came back, he said " We are going to move there." So we sold our farm and went by wagon to Idaho. It took us eleven days to move because we had to have water for the stock.

When we lived in Woodruff, he raised cattle, beef cattle and alfalfa. That was about the only thing you could raise in that country, because it was so cold and the season was so short. Then when we moved to Idaho he bought a farm out in McDonaldville. We cleared the sagebrush off from the place and Father and Mother had quite a hard time of it because they had ten girls and only one boy. The boy died when he was only eighteen months old. So Father had to do all of the farm work with just the girls to help him. My older sisters took the place of hired help on the farm. We younger one used to herd cattle and do some of the milking, but the older girls worked right along with Father.

When we lived in Woodruff, we would go into Evanston, Wyoming to buy material by the bolt. We all had dresses from the same bolt of material. Mother would change the pattern a little in order to make them look a little bit different, but we all looked pretty much alike.

After we moved to Idaho things were a little bit better. It wasn't quite so hard but we still had to work. We didn't have anything but a horse and buggy. That is the way we went everywhere. A year after Elmer and I were married his father and my father bought automobiles.

The first two years we lived in McDonaldville we walked to the Groveland school. It was two and one half miles each way so it made it five miles walking, both winter and summer.

My dad was a real fine fellow. He had a sense of humor and he loved to tell jokes and he was sickly after I was old enough to remember, but I can remember the good times we had as children growing up. We always had a fireplace in our home and every evening we would gather around the fireplace and some of the older girls would play the organ and we would sing songs, mostly hymns. Father and Mother would sing a lot of the old time songs to us girls. When mother was just a young woman she used to sing in public. She had a lovely soprano voice. Father could hardly carry a tune except when he sang with mother and then he did real well.

I can remember my childhood when mother would gather three or four of us at a time and we would kneel around her and say our prayers before she would let us go to bed. Every morning when we got up we would wait until the whole family was together and then we would kneel around the table and say our family prayer. Then we would turn our chairs around and say the blessing on the food. That is one of the fondest memories I have of my childhood.

Mother and Father Dean loved to raise flowers and after they moved to Idaho where it was warmer, they always had many.

Loraine Chapman Fairchild wrote the following memories about her grandparents.

A memory that really impressed me about Groveland was the baptisms. Grandpa John Dean's home was next to the Riverside Canal which separated his place from the Groveland church house. Grandpa and Grandma had a tall lilac hedge and a concrete sidewalk from their woodshed to the canal. Grandma always made sure the woodshed was spotless before a baptism so those being baptized could dress in the shed and proceed to the canal protected from the street as they went into the canal and were baptized.

Grandma and Grandpa Dean also had a long concrete walk from the front gate to the front porch on their house. To us that was quite a luxury. Our walks were wooden planks, This concrete walk had grapevines covering the sidewalk like a tall arbor, making not only a beautiful entrance to their home, but to us small grandchildren, an imaginary "tunnel" which brought us to the enchanted entrance to the house of our grandparents where we were sure to find a treat from "Grandma's Cookie Jar". Another fond memory of Groveland was Grandpa's walks from his place to ours, which was approximately one mile on a dirt road. We would all go to meet him. He even did this walk with the aid of a cane, his last year on this earth at the age of eighty-four. (John Dean was remember for sharing mints that he carried in his pockets with his grandchildren)

John and Elizabeth were married in the historian's office in Salt Lake City, 9 October 1877, as the Endowment house was then closed. They received their endowments in the Endowment house 4 May 1882. In 1884 they went to the Logan Temple to have their two oldest children sealed to them. The children were born before they received their endowments.

John Cope Dean had a mustache. One of Illene's treasures her Mother saved was two special mustache cups with a part made in the cup so a man could drink his tea and not get the mustache wet.

John came to America with his parents when he was eight years old. He remembered the trip from Omaha, Nebraska to Salt Lake City. Some things he saw and remembered his parents never mentioned. One thing was that most of the men were green when it came to yoking up cattle. milking cows, greasing wagons, or doing anything pertaining to pioneer life. This was natural because they had to do a job they had no experience doing.

John's father, Charles, had spent his life working in the mines. He had never held any other jobs. Most farm boys who are eight years old can do many things to help. They may not have the strength to do many tasks, but they have seen them done by others thus know the procedures.

When they left Florence, now Omaha, Nebraska, one man got on the off side of the oxen and tried to drive them. Of course, they were frightened and ran away. They soon learned to manage things. There were many inconveniences and hardships on their journey; but as John was only eight, he didn't remember the hardships too much. On the contrary, he enjoyed the whole trip. One thing that stands out in his memory is the large herds of buffalo. The captains would have to stop the wagons to wait for the herd to pass. John's father was a good hunter and he was able to kill enough animals for the wagon train. The meat was sweet and good. They would cut long strips of it and hang it up to dry in the hot sun. When thoroughly dried, it could be kept for weeks and was like chipped beef to eat.

Every night the wagons were formed in a circle by water for their camp. Each wagon would start its own campfire and cook supper. This consisted mostly of baking bread in an iron skillet, we now call a Dutch oven. They were about 18 inches in diameter, 4 or 5 inches deep and made of cast iron. It had a heavy lid and three or four legs. The fire was built under the skillet and coals placed on top of the lid.

So many wagon trains had passed over the same trail ahead of them, it was hard to find wood to burn. They would use "buffalo chips", which were real buffalo dung. After the milking was done in the morning, the milk was put in a tin churn and strapped to the wagon. By noon it would be churned to butter, and along with the buttermilk would be used for lunch.

The thunder and rain storms were something terrific. Many times they would be frightened as well as drenched. John and the older children walked barefoot most of the way. On 13 September 1861 they arrived at the point where they could see Salt Lake City from the top of the mountains. What a great sight! One he always remembered. It seemed all their trials and troubles were over when they had really begun.

They settled in Bountiful, Utah, working Jedediah M. Grant's farm. They had no experience in farming and it was very trying, not only for them, but also Brother Grant. There is not much written about John's early years in Bountiful.

Elizabeth Howard was only five years old when the family settled in Bountiful. She vaguely remembers the trip from England and coming on to Utah. She remembers her twin sister who was buried on the plains who was no longer with her to help comfort her. She was the youngest of the family and had also lost her Mother before they finally arrived at their destination. As a girl living with her father she grew up working on the farm, harvesting the crops and doing the jobs that had to be done. Life was much easier after her father remarried. She had a keen memory and loved to sing. After her evening tasks were done she would sit by the kitchen-fire and listen to the others or sit knitting while they sang. In this way she grew to womanhood.


John was very mature for his age and when 17 years old he was called by Brigham Young to go on a mission to Kanab to work with the Indians. His health was poor so he was released to go home. On July 1, 1871 he was called to go to Woodruff to help settle and build up that area. He would live there and raise his family during the next 33 years.

He worked on a large cattle ranch and it was here he was thrown from a horse and received a very bad hernia which he carried until his death. His people came to Woodruff the next year. He worked with his father and brothers in the summertime and on the cattle ranch in the winters until 1877 when he married Elizabeth Howard.

Elizabeth's courtship is best told by Samuel or Sam, Joseph Howard's youngest son. John and Sam worked together on Brother Grant's farm and became fast friends. It was while visiting Sam that John met Elizabeth. When he was called to go to Woodruff to help colonize the country, he decided to get married. All their romance was carried on through letters written to Sam.

In 1877, she bade her home and family goodby and with almost a total stranger for a husband, started by team and wagon for a new and strange home. How the tears fell and the heart ached when she came to Woodruff -- no trees, babbling brook and she was among strangers. That winter they built their first home, a one-room log house with a dirt roof. The door had leather hinges and leather string for a door knob. Her first four children were born in this house.

John's home was near his father's so his children could visit their grandparents almost every day. This gave them a lot of comfort and they could help each other from time to time. Later John made adobe and built a two-story home, two rooms down and the upstairs was one large room with a south window, but no ceiling. The low rafters were used for their few clothes and the tall ones to hang their jerked meat. They could look up and see the roof above them. This house had a large fireplace. Later John added a brick room back of the house. This is where the family lived while in Woodruff. There is a small hill in Woodruff now called "John Dean Hill" which goes by his property.

Lucy says, "How often we children, of an evening, would sit by the glowing fire, where the tumbling coals would make quaint figures and the fantastic shadows of the firelight played upon the walls and listen to our parents go-back in memory to their childhood days, telling the ever thrilling stories of their lives. Mother's stories were mostly of her home in Bountiful. So vividly she would tell us of the woods around her home, that we could almost inhale the odor of the flowers or feel and listen to the song of the babbling brook."


To me, Howard H. Christiansen, nothing the Dean's ever did can compare to the amazing family they raised. To me the Dean family of ten girls is something unique.

Elizabeth proved to be a steady producer. If you note the dates each girl was born, they are nearly all just two years apart. For a family to have to earn their living on a farm raising wheat with some cattle and horses is hard for this farm boy to understand. They were located 22 miles from Evanston,Wyoming and most of what the family had to sell had to be hauled there in wagons. No trucks or cars were available at that time and the roads were gravel with chuck holes.

The girls were not like ten peas in a pod. Each of them had great self confidence and high self esteem. Each one was special. All of them were highly intelligent and hard workers. They were all good looking and were able to catch good husbands and raise strong self reliant children. They were all good talkers and most of the time were eager and willing to express their opinions on any subject.

There were some small advantages of having a family like this. In some large families where there is about the same number of each sex the work can be classified as boy's or girl's work. In the Dean family there was no such thing. There were jobs to do and they did them if they were strong enough.

The Church was important in their lives and they were regular participants in it. Nearly all of them enjoyed good health and lived out their natural lives. Many of the characteristics the girls had were inherited. The stories of Charles Dean and Joseph Howard showed this. The Dean girls were fortunate that no inherited diseases were carried from generation to generation.

What did John and Elizabeth do to help their girls develop themselves into such great women?

Ilene's brother Dean says, "Whenever I was working on any project with Mother she would say: There is no such word as can't, just figure out how and then do it." That seemed to be the motto all the girls were raised with as all just assumed they could do whatever needed to be done and did it!

Aunt Lindy. daughter number nine, tells this story. "It was my job to bring in the fire wood each evening so the fires could be built early in the morning. I played around and didn't do it. When it was dark outside and we were getting ready for bed, Father reminded me of my job. I was afraid of the dark and wanted someone to go with me to get the wood. Father said, "That is your job not theirs, so go get the wood." I went out and got the wood. Never again did I forget to do my chores."

Mary Black in her own story tells in detail about how the farm work was done. She tells about going to town in the fall taking their harvest to market and buying the needed things for the family for the year. She remembers her father always bought a bolt of cloth to make the girl's dresses. One year blue checked flannel -- the next year brown checked. Each dress was made very simple and when they went to town each little girl all looked alike in the checkered material. She hated this and as soon as old enough, she learned how to sew to help make better looking dresses. She never wanted blue or brown checked things in her home!


Woodruff had some handicaps compared to other places. It was a cattle country isolated from main population centers that had hospitals and schools where the girls could get advanced degrees or special training. The older girls were able to go to College at the Academy in Logan. It had cold long winters often with deep snow. After Elizabeth had her baby, Agnes, she had very bad health. She was about 40 and was pretty much bed fast. The illness lingered on for some time.

Mary and Fred had moved to the Blackfoot area in 1903. When Mary heard about her Mother's troubles she went to Woodruff and took her to her home in Groveland about five miles west of Blackfoot. The warmer climate and Mary's nursing helped her to get better.

John, age 52, could see it would be best for the whole family to move. He sold out and located on about 15 acres in the center of Groveland. There he built a house which was near the Church on the east side with the canal between his home and the church. The land was good fertile soil that could raise enough food for the family. Part of it was developed for pasture for a few cows. It was a little rough in spots but John in time had it in full production. The Blackfoot area is near the Snake River which has water for the large farming area. The water was carried to the farms in canals. Most crops such as potatoes, sugar beets, alfalfa and grain could be grown. Many vegetables and garden crops as well as fruits such as apples, berries and other fruits flourished. There was a flat wasteland area 60 miles wide between Groveland and Arco that the farmers could raise sheep in addition to this there was the mountain range on the east.

When the family moved to Groveland only Mary and Matilda were married. Four of John's girls were of the marrying age. It appears that four wonderful boys located near Groveland were waiting for a girl that would be a good help mate. Lucy, 23, married Joseph Wilson a farmer, Julia 21, married Alvin Hale who became a Chiropractor in Logan, Utah, Jane, 19, married a farmer Samuel Chapman. Dorothy, 17, married a farmer and later owned a truck line, Emron Yancey. She was the Idaho Mother of the Year having 22 children, 17 of whom lived to adults. Of this number there was three-sets of twins. Tillie, Louie, Lindy married the three Sorensen brothers Jens, Ephraim and Nephi. All of the brothers started out in raising sheep.

John and Elizabeth had four daughters at home not old enough to marry. There were, however, four boys waiting for them to grow up. With the money John got from his property in Woodruff, he was able to pay for the land and house he was able to build. He knew he would need another source of income, because he had four young daughters he would have to support. They were Louie, 15, Emma, 13, Lindy, 11 and Agnes, 8. In time this family of girls married and settled with their own families near their parents home and were able to keep close contact with them.

John was a man who had not had any special training but had the ability to do almost anything he saw others do. When he could see things done, he would study the finished product and with some trial and error he would soon be able to duplicate what he wanted to do. John decided it was best for him to build a carpenter shop near his house. He started to buy the needed tools wherever he could find them. It was an advantage to live near the railroad five miles away at Blackfoot where tools and lumber and other supplies could be obtained mainly from Salt Lake City. John and Elizabeth never owned a car, but got about by wagon. In later years one of his daughters or their husband would take them in their cars.

He had a large tool chest which was his pride and joy where he kept most of his tools. He had a number of planes for doing fine work. Most of his planes had a hardwood frame. With these planes and augers to drill holes, along with draw knives and other kinds of tools. Carpenters in those days could do some very fancy work; Note the work done in the Temples before electrical power was common. Now routers, drills, saws, all power driven tools make it possible to do work much faster but not necessarily better. Since Blackfoot area was growing fast and new families were starting, John did not have much trouble selling the furniture he could make or build cabinets and fine work in the homes.

He made the oldest granddaughter in each family a trunk for them to keep their treasures. It was where Ilene kept her dolls and special treasures. After staying with us winters while John and Elizabeth worked in the Temple, he noted how Dean took care of his tools and he gave his tool chest and tools to him. Now the tools are on display in Dean's daughter, Janene and Skip's work office in their home. Skip is a master builder and makes beautiful furniture. Many who come to his office admire the antique tools which are now collector items.


Ilene had special memories of the lovely home of her grandparents in Groveland. "I spent wonderful summer vacations there and learned to love everything about the place including my Grandparents."

Their place was built on a large acreage with a big garden and orchard. I can almost taste the early June apples from their trees now. The house was set back quite a ways from the road. There was a beautiful walk way from the road to their house with vines growing to form an arched walkway. Each side of the walk had beautiful flowers. At the end near the house was a large locust tree that Grandpa had hung a hammock where he spent pleasant hours resting, playing quiet games with me and telling me stories.

In back of the house was a large yard with a summer kitchen and cellar to prepare and store their ample harvest. A canal is between their yard and the Church and we had wonderful fun playing along the canal bank and finding frog's and other animal life. Whenever I hear morning doves, I am immediately brought back in memory to Groveland and their home."

One of the highlights of most of the cousins memories was John and Elizabeth's Golden Wedding Celebration in 1927. It was held in the Church and their home and we all had a wonderful time together. I remember the phonograph that was given them by their children and was a great wonder to be able to wind the handle and play records of music. Dean remembers a program where they put lights against a sheet to produce shadow pictures. One of the Uncles performed surgery on Dad and Dean was disturbed because they were removing an ice cream dipper, a long string of wieners from his stomach along with various other items.

Grandmother always had cookies and fresh baked bread for us to eat along with fresh or canned fruit she had prepared. Elizabeth enjoyed tatting and crochet. She spent many evenings crocheting beautiful center pieces, doilies, ends for pillowcases and dresser scarfs with a very fine thread to beautify her house.

Another thing that was always fun was to get to lay in the feather bed. It was piled high with a feather bed to lie on and a feather comforter on top.

Grandpa had a roll top desk and a typewriter with a purple ribbon on it which he would write letters. They were always short, about the size of a telegram, but we were always happy to hear from him.


Beside John's tool shed and shop was a large woodpile. Grandpa spent many hours chopping wood for their fires. When he was old and had some heart trouble the Doctor told him he had to not do strenuous work and to quit chopping the wood. Grandpa said, "If I can't chop wood and do a little work around here, I might as well die." He didn't last much longer. He died in 1937 at age 84 and is buried in the Groveland Cemetery.

After they came to Blackfoot Elizabeth spent most of her time caring for John and working in her flowers. She seemed to have a green thumb. Everything she planted grew. After John's death she lived a lonely life caring for her flowers and short visits by her daughters and their families. She seemed to be longing for the time she could join her husband. Just before she died, she made a remark to Dr. Miller. "I have done all I can do here. I am not afraid of death and I am ready to go. I want to be with John."

She died 8 June 1940, age 81 and is buried in the Groveland Cemetery along side of her husband John.


Elizabeth Howard was the ninth child of Joseph Howard and Ann Shelton. They were English converts and came to America in 1864. They left London, England with 863 saints on the ship Hudson, under the leader-ship of John McKay. They arrived in New York July 19, 1864, and at Wyoming August 2, 1864. They crossed the plains in William Hydes train, arriving in Salt Lake City, October 26, 1864. Elizabeth was only five years old at the time.

The Indians were on the warpath and they were in constant fear. It took courage and faith. Two sisters died and were buried by the way-side at the North Platte River. The mother was greatly tried to see her little ones buried without a coffin and left alone in the desert.

Her greatest hope was to live to reach Salt Lake and see her two older sons, who came two years before the family. This she was not permitted to do as she died about 250 miles from Salt Lake City with mountain fever and exposure. She was wrapped in a sheet and placed in a shallow grave. Then they piled sage brush over the top and burned it so the coyotes would not find her body.

Joseph Howard with a family of nine living children settled in Utah on the W. S. Muir farm. Later he married again and established a home at Bountiful where he lived until he died. He experienced trials and sorrows as all the early pioneers did.

He had a beautiful home where he raised grapes and sugar cane. Here Elizabeth lived helping with the work until she was married.

Elizabeth learned the pioneer life, as she faced its hardships, eating its meager supply of food. Barefoot, she plodded along the rows of sugar cane or grapes caring for them until her shoulders ached. She would help husk the corn or shell the nuts until her hands were raw and sore, wash the wool and put it on the shed to dry, later to be spun into yarn which she would later knit. She toted water from the well up the path to the house. She learned to feed the fire under the iron pot when boiling down the sorghum. She learned to dry fruit, beans and other vegetables for winter. She took her turn at the outdoor washtub. Her body thus taxed, she had an eager appetite and grew strong on bread, made from wheat ground in a hand mill, and hominy. Through all her tasks she felt and saw rapture in the sunset, beauty in the autumn leaves or joy in the song of a bird. She loved nature in all its beauty and would spend much time watching the things of nature or dreaming of some fairy Prince on his magic carpet or other fairy tales they told her.

She had a keen memory and loved to sing. After her evening tasks were done she would sit by the kitchen fire and listen to the others or sit knitting while the others sang. In this way she grew to womanhood.

Her children would often spend an evening sitting by the glowing fire, where the tumbling coals would make quaint figures and the fantastic shadows of the firelight played upon the walls and listen to their mother and father go back in memory to their childhood days, telling the ever thrilling stories of their lives. Her stories were mostly of their home in Bountiful. So vividly she would tell of the woods around her home, that the children could almost inhale the odor of the flowers or feel the rustling of the autumn leaves beneath their feet or quietly listen to the song of the bubbling brook.

When 18 years of age, she was married to John Cope Dean. John Cope Dean and Elizabeth's brother Samuel worked together on Brother Grant's farm and became fast friends. It was while Elizabeth was visiting with Samuel that she met John Cope Dean. When he was called to go to Woodruff to help colonize the country, he decided to get married. All their romance was carried on through letters written to Samuel. He would read them to Elizabeth and then in turn write her answer to John's letters.

In 1877 she bade her home and family goodby and with almost a stranger for a husband, started by team and wagon for new and strange home. How the tears fell and the heart ached when she came to Woodruff, no trees, babbling brook and among strangers. That winter they built their first home--a one room log house with a dirt roof. The door had leather hinges and a leather string for a door knob. Her first four children were born there. John Cope Dean made adobe and built a two-story home, two rooms down and the upstairs was one large room with a south window, but no ceiling. The low rafters were used for their few clothes and the tall ones to hang their jerked meat. This was their home until the children went to college, then John built a brick room back of the old home. There Mother spent most of the last three years of the life in Woodruff.

They came to Blackfoot in 1905. Here Elizabeth spent most of her time caring for her husband and working in her flowers. She seemed to have a green thumb. Everything she planted grew.

After Father's death in 1937, she lived a very lonely life, living only for her flowers and longing for the time when she could join her husband. Just before she died she made the remark to Dr. Miller, "I have done all I can here. I am not afraid of death and I am ready to go. I want to be with John." She died June 8, 1940.

The following article appeared in the Blackfoot Newspaper:

Mr. And Mrs. John Dean of Groveland to Celebrate Golden Anniversary

At Groveland, near Blackfoot, next Monday will be given a reception to honor Mr. And Mrs. John Dean on their golden wedding anniversary. The estimable couple have been residents of the community for many years and elaborate preparations are being made to pay them due honor.

Mr. Dean was born at Audley, England on January 1, 1853. He came to America with his parents in 1859, going direct to Utah. The family had been converted to the Mormon religion. Mrs. Dean who was Miss Elizabeth Howard was born in Birmingham, England, on February 20, 1859. Her parents also were converted to the Mormon religion and immigrated to Utah in 1861.

Mr. And Mrs. Dean were united in marriage on October 9, 1877. Shortly after their marriage they moved to Woodruff, Utah, and they were numbered among the earliest residents of that locality. They engaged in farming in that community and were very successful. They continued to make Woodruff their home until 1905 when they moved to Blackfoot where Mr. Dean engaged in the real estate business for a number of years until he retired from active life a few years ago.

Both Mr. And Mrs. Dean are devoted Latter Day Saints and have been active workers in the church practically their entire lives. In later years they bought a small orchard tract near Groveland which permitted them to devote much of their time to ecclesiastical activities. For several years past, their winters have been spent doing temple work at Logan, while their summers have been spent on their farm near Groveland. The infirmities incident to old age has kept them more closely confined to their home during the past few years.

Eleven children were born to this union, nine of whom are living. They also have 39 grandchildren and one great grandchild, all of whom are expected to be present at the celebration next Monday. Three of their daughters, Luella, Arlinda, and Matilda married brothers, Nephi, Ephraim, and Jens Sorensen. A son died at the age of eighteen months in 1887 and a daughter, Mrs. Jens (Matilda) Sorensen died in 1904. Mr. And Mrs. Dean are particularly proud of the distinction that their ten daughters were married in the temple. The names and addresses of their children are as follows: Mrs. P.P. (Mary) Black, Arco; Mrs. J.L. (Lucy) Wilson, Blackfoot; Mrs. A.W. (Julia) Hale, Logan; Mrs. Sam (Jane) Chapman, Blackfoot; Mrs. Emeron (Dorothy) Yancey, Blackfoot; Mrs. Ephraim (Luella) Sorensen, Blackfoot; Mrs. Nephi (Arlinda) Sorensen, Blackfoot; Mrs. E. C. (Emma) Taylor, American Falls; Mrs. C. C. (Agnes) Cox, Blackfoot.

Mr. And Mrs. Dean are enjoying good health and the celebration next Monday is looked forward to with keen anticipation by scores of friends who have been invited to be present.

(The following is another newspaper story about The Dean's Anniversary Party)

Large Crowd At Anniversary Party

Mr. And Mrs. John Dean Duly Honored at Celebration of 50th Golden Anniversary Last Monday

More than a hundred people gathered at the Groveland ward meeting house last Monday to honor Mr. And Mrs. John Dean and help them celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. The guests included many relatives and friends and neighbors of the estimable couple who have been numbered among the residents of that community, which is near Blackfoot, for many years. One of Mr. Dean's sons-in-law, P.P. Black of Arco, acted as master of ceremonies and he reports that a very interesting and pleasing program was given.

The meeting house was decorated in white and gold with potted plants and cut flowers being used in profusion. At noon two large tables spread with the bounties of the land provided nourishment for the huge assemblage. An orchestra furnished the music for the program which consisted of artistic dancing and readings. Most of the numbers were furnished by grand children of the guests of honor. In the evening the guests reassembled in the social hall where a minstrel show was presented by the sons-in-law including also fancy dancing by three little girls, daughters of Dr. and Mrs. Hale of Logan and grandchildren of Mr. And Mrs. Dean. The Jazz King Orchestra of Pocatello furnished music for the dance which ended the activities.

One of the features of the affair, said Mr. Black, was the huge wedding cake baked by one of their daughters, Mrs. E. C. Taylor of American Falls. It was so large that every person present shared in the serving. Mr. Black states that the affair was one of the most successful and enjoyable affairs of its kind ever held in the Groveland community and the honored guests were the recipients of many tokens and congratulatory messages from friends throughout the state of Idaho and Utah.

(The newspaper clippings are in possession of Don Taylor)

1. Life History of John Cope Dean, written by his daughter Mary Dean Black, and handed in to the Groveland D.U.P. and read by his daughter Sarah Jane Dean Chapman in 1946, Blackfoot, Bingham County, Idaho

EElizabeth Howard Dean & John Cope Dean

John Cope & Elizabeth Dean

John Cope Dean

Elizabeth Howard Dean

John Cope Dean

Elizabeth Howard Dean

Elizabeth Howard Dean &
John Cope Dean (about 1935)

Elizabeth & John Cope Dean

Elizabeth Dean with Grandchildren
Tillie Yancey, Wyora Yancey, Desta Chapman & Richard Yancey

Front Row- Emma, Elizabeth, John Cope, and Agnes
Back Row- Sarah Jane, Luella, Dorothy, Julia, Lucy, Arlinda, and Mary Elizabeth

John Dean Cabin in Woodruff, Utah

John Dean House in Woodruff, Utah
Wilson Family Standing in Front

John Dean House in Woodruff, Utah
Picture taken in 1999

John Dean House in Blackfoot, Idaho
showing Peonie Flower Garden

John Dean House in Blackfoot, Idaho

John Dean House in Blackfoot, Idaho
Pictuure taken in 1999