John Marcroft

Written by Sarah Edna Marcroft

Born Middleton, Lancashire, England February 6, 1812. Came to Utah 1859. Died October 16, 1898, Salt Lake City, Utah. I can remember Grandpa Marcroft a Little. He was a slender man, sandy complexion-- that is where we get our red hair. One thing that I remember, he used to go to the tithing office and get some of his feed. I remember he especially brought honey home and I remember he kept it in a trunk along with other feed. But he would always give us children some  honey. When I remember him he lived in one room of a two room adobe house, West of Uncle Hyrum's house. Uncle John and his wife Aunt Rellie and their adopted daughter, little Rellie, lived in the other room. Grandpa lived in the front room and Uncle John's family in the back room. The house had two side outdoors facing East. Grandpa used to be the baby sitter for Mother and Aunt Annie. I know he use to make what they called "sugar tits" to satisfy the babies--that was some sugar put in a cloth tied with a string, then wet it, and the baby would suck on it.

As I remember Grandpa he was a very even-tempered man. I guess I've heard Mother say that he was. To me, Brother Bob's Russell looks more like grandpa than anyone in the family. Grandma Marcroft died before I was born. I remember him coming over to our house and looking at the enlarged picture of Grandma (he called her Charlotte). He dearly loved Grandma. She was inclined to be a lillte strict with him, so I have heard mother say. Mother tried to keep Grandpa's clothes washed and mended; of course, this was after Grandma died. I remeber how he put out
Mother said she was once when Grandpa tried to Hide the holes in the seat of his pants by wearing a coat. She said she made him take them off and she mended them.

I remember when Grandpa took sick I saw him lying in a big wooden bed. We used to take things over for him to eat. I remember Lottie made him an eggnog and he enjoyed it so much, then she made him another one later and he couldn't drink it. I remember the day Grandpa died-- how we children used to run and meet him-- don't remember to well, but I do remember him.

He married Charlotte Whitehead Taylor in 1835. The record shows they had 10 children-- two were born in St. Louis-- they must have been buried in St. Louis or near there. They must have joined the Church when the first missionaries were sent to England. My Father was born in 1849 and he said they joined the Church 6 or 7 years before he was born. This is the story as I have heard it. Grandma was the first. I always thought she became interested before she was married, that she was working it out, and that she attended several meetings. Her half sister's husband John Easthope ) and Grandpa Marcroft, who was her sweetheart, found out about it and were very angry. They followed her one night to a meeting, intending to make a fuss about it, but instead they became interested. Grandma was blessed with the gift of tongues. In England they used to call Mormons "The Dippers".

In Grandma's older years she must have been sort of short and heavy. I've heard she wasn't much of a housekeeper, but was very clean in person, that she wouldn't go to Ward Meeting unless she was clean from skin out. Mother always said Grandma was of different temperament than Grandpa.

This a story I heard Aunt Annie tell-- said it taught her a lesson. Grandpa always divided everything with his son, Uncle John and his wife, Aunt Rellie. Aunt Annie gave him 50 cents she told him to spend on himself. He turned to her and said "They tell me how to spend money - then keep it."

In Grandpa's old age he was broken-hearted about Uncle Hyrum. There was some trouble over property. I don't think Uncle Hyrum spoke to his Father. I know he didn't go to his funeral or see him before he died. Aunt Susie influenced him a great deal.

I don't know what offices Grandpa held I the Church, but in my Father's diary he tells of him and his Father administering to the sick.

Grandpa was a weaver by trade -- also a glass blower. There was not much work for his trade. For many years he used to garden with a man by the name of Harrow on Harrow's land. It was on 8th South between 3rd and 4th West. They raised all celery -- or most of it-- that was sold in
Salt Lake.

Grandpa was 86 years old when he died. Grandma was 69 years old. Grandpa must have been a very active old man. Am sure he wasn't sick very long.

Grandpa and Grandma are buried in City Cemetery -- same lot as Aunt Annie and Uncle Bob.

Children born to Grandpa and Grandma
James Marcroft-- died a baby
William Marcroft-- died a baby
Sarah Marcroft-- died a baby
John Marcroft, Jr.
Robert Marcroft
Joseph Marcroft
Thomas Marcroft-- died at 3 years old
Benjamin Marcroft-- died a baby
Mary Ellen Marcroft-- died a baby
Hyrum Taylor Marcroft 1