Arlinda Dean


By Arlinda Dean Sorensen, written about 1977 1, Arlinda Dean Sorensen was born of goodly parents. I was born I September, 1895, the ninth daughter of John and Elizabeth Dean. I was born in Woodruff, Utah. On account of Mother's health, we moved to Idaho in about 1909. 1 was baptized in Woodruff.

We lived in MacDonaldville about 2 years, then moved to Blackfoot when I was I1. Then we moved over on the East Side of town. I went to Trenton, Utah to work when I was 17 for my Aunt Sarah Christensen for a year. I then came home and worked at Hubble's Dry Good store. After that, I went to the laundry to work and worked there until I was 20. Then I got married to Nephi Sorensen in the Salt Lake Temple on December 8, 1915. Our first baby was born September 5, 1916. He came before his due time and consequently lived only a few hours. Then on the 26 th of February 1918, Darwin Nils was born.

We then lived in Rose and the roads were so bad Nephi had to go get the Doctor in a bob sleigh. The baby was born an hour and a half before the Doctor got there. Louie and I were there alone. Then Harold was born 16 August, 1921. 23 May 1923, Veliene was born and Nephi was up to the hills with the sheep. We had just sheared the sheep and I was staying with Eph and Louie and one night I told them that something was wrong with Nephi because I felt it. They told me nothing was wrong or I would hear it. The next morning the phone rang and they called and said Nephi was in the hospital in Soda Springs with his fingers cut off. After he got well, I went with him and we had to sleep out in a tent on the way up so I kept the baby's hood on her all night so she wouldn't catch cold. Evelyn was born II December, 1924.

When we lived on the homestead in the hills. One day Nephi went and moved a camp and forgot to take the shovel to set the camp, so he was going back to do that and I told him that I and the boys would go take it if he would stay with the girls at the house. So we got on the horses and went up the canyon and it started to hail and the horses kept rearing up, so we got off and stood under a pine tree until it quit. When we got home, Nephi was walking the floor as the hailstones were about the size of large marbles.

I was teaching Primary and Sunday School, also quilt leader. Then I was put in counselor in the Relief Society and still was over the sewing.

We used to go to dances in a big bob sleigh - about six couples, or I would ride in a little one and Nephi would ride the horse and pull the sleigh. I think I got more snowballs from the horse's hoofs than the kids get nowadays playing snow balls, but it was fun. There was so much snow. I had to ride a horse to Relief Society a lot of the time in the winter. We didn't know what luxuries were. I washed my clothes on a wash board until I was forty years old. We never had electricity until about then either. We raised a large garden and a lot of strawberries and canned our own vegetables and fruit, killed our own meat and cured the pork, and bottled the beef We raised chickens and ducks.

When we sold the sheep, we moved to Groveland to be by my parents as they were getting old and needed us. Then they put me in Quilt Leader in Groveland for a while and then in the Presidency again in Relief Society. In the spring, I went and cooked for Leonard Cox's lambing crew. Eighteen men, three meals a day. Nephi helped with the lambing. We got $135 for the two of us. I had to cook on a wood burning stove. Then when they started shearing, we had 35 men to cook for but I had one woman to help me then. I baked 22 loaves of bread every other day and made hot bread for breakfast. I was operated on in 1940 and had to lay off for a while.

I have helped haul hay, pick up spuds, and top beets. I milked cows and held the lambs while Nephi docked them.  Later, I went to town and worked at C.C. Anderson's store doing the alterations and worked on the floor for two years. Then I went to Boyle Hardware and worked for 5 years. That wasn't easy for I had large buckets of paint, wire, and many other things to lift. Nephi was then working at the Idaho Potato Starch Plant in Groveland and when he was on the evening shift, I would come home, change clothes and milk six cows. When he was on the midnight to morning, I had to milk in the morning as he didn't get home before the milkman came to pick up the milk. We also raised chickens (300 head). We used to get up and dress 30 in the morning before going to work and I'd take them in with me to the stores as I went to work. We also had a large raspberry patch. I picked berries from 4:00 A.M. in the morning until I had to get ready to go to work, and then again in the evening. Oh, we haven't had it easy. But work never kills any one, and I am so thankful I learned to work. Then I went to work at the SEWFARI and worked there for 14 years. I worked until I was 71. Now I have been quilting, crocheting and taking care of the house for I I years. Now I am 82 and am so tired, I feel like I just want to rest.

Oh, we used to have some fun when we were young. A bunch of us kids would get in a bob sleigh and go to the dances. We had orders to be in by 12:00 midnight and when the dance didn't let out until 12:00, it was hard to be in by then. My Dad was a little hard of hearing, so I would go in real quiet and mother would always hear and she would tell me to crawl in by her until I got warm and Dad would never hear. One night Irene and her boyfriend had a quarrel and he wouldn't take her home, so she wanted Marv (Elison) and I to take her home. By the time we took her home and then went home ourselves, it was 3:00 in the morning when I got home and I don't know what time Marv got home but believe me, I sure went in quiet that time and was so cold I never went to sleep. I got up real early and got breakfast so I could get warm.

My Sister, Louella and I lived close to each other and she had a baby girl, Thora, two months before I had Darwin. When she had to go somewhere, I would nurse both babies and when I had to go, she would nurse both babies so we didn't have to take them with us. Oh, they were good helpers. One day we cooked dinner for the hay men and thought we could pick a few berries while we were waiting for them to come in. Those two kids dished the entire dinner all up in all the dishes and mixed it up until we had to wash dishes and cook the meal over. On another occasion, they watched the men kill and dress a sheep, so they took the cat, put it on a chair while we were topping beets and tried to cut it's throat with the butcher knife but just choked it to death. I guess the knife was too dull.

When we were up to the hills, Nephi came home with what he thought would be a surprise for the kids. He had caught 3 ducks and put them under his jumper. He brought them to the house and I had just got through scrubbing the floor and the linoleum was slick. He walked in let loose of his jumper and let them to the floor. They slipped and slid all over the place and left their tracks everywhere they went. I just had to mop the floor all over again. Well, it was a surprise!

Sometimes up at the Homestead in the pines, the mosquitos were so thick the kids had to wear bee hats and high top shoes and gloves out to play. I would wrap my legs with paper, then put my stockings on to keep the mosquitoes from stinging my legs.

The following comments are from Evelyn Sorensen Whyte (Arlinda Dean and Nephi Sorensen's daughter.)

We had two places - the house at the Meadow with the spring house under the one big room that the boys slept in. There was another big room that was a combined kitchen, dining area, and family room. A third big room was a big bedroom with shelves all along one side where supplies for the different camps were kept. The big bedroom had a big curtain that pulled across in the middle, making it like two bedrooms. The shelves were all covered with curtains. Mother had a sewing machine in that room also. Veliene and I would pick out dresses from the Sears catalogue and she would make them from the picture for school the next fall. The Homestead was up in the pines and I guess closer to some of the ranges that had to be visited to take supplies to the herders at their camps.

Nephi: (Contrary to the many "spoofs" that I have told the grandchildren when they asked about my missing fingers, this one is the real truth. I know they were teased with the story that "I wore my thumb down by thumbing for a ride and never got one." Or when they were caught "picking their nose", they heard -- "That's where I lost this finger. " etc . )


In my younger married years, we were in the sheep business with winter feeding in the Blackfoot, Idaho area and the summer range in the mountains about 10 - miles east of there.

One spring after the shearing was completed up on the summer range, I knew the wool had to be hauled down to the market area by horses and wagon. We used 4 horses to handle the loads, so I had to go to the meadow and catch two more horses. I had bad feelings whenever I thought about getting it moved. It could not be put off any longer, so I rode a saddle horse to the meadow and when I got there, one of the horses I intended to use had just had a new baby colt. I concluded that I would have to make the trip with three horses instead of four. I caught the one other available horse and started to mount the saddle horse again when a distinct voice said, "don't get on that horse, ride the other one." the voice was so plain that I looked around to see who was in the meadow with me. I could see no one and dismissed the thought and started the second time. I heard the same voice only louder and more distinct. I paused and then heard it again the third time. I reasoned it out myself and could see no good logic in riding a horse with no saddle when a saddle horse was available, so paying no heed to the warnings, I mounted the horse to set about my duties and before going many steps, the horse spooked at something in the grass. The automatic reaction was to grab the saddle horn with the hand leading the horse. This threw a half hitch around my hand and the horse didn't stop pulling until she broke the rope. My hand was hurting so badly that I got off the horse and took off my glove and found I was minus three fingers. The smell of the blood sent the saddle horse running away, the other had run after the excitement of the episode and the rope breaking. I was left on foot with three fingers cut off and bleeding badly. This happened about 7:00 p.m. and by the time I walked to where help was, and someone was able to drive me to the nearest doctor, which was in Soda Springs, Idaho, it was midnight. In Blackfoot at the same time this was happening to me, Arlinda said to our brother and sister, that she knew something was wrong with me. The following morning when the telephone rang, again she knew before the caller gave the message that it pertained to my accident. This was a hard way to learn my lesson of listening to the promptings of the spirit, but a story that I have related to my children and grandchildren many times in hope that they might benefit from it.

By Arlinda Dean Sorensen (granddaughter)

I think of my Grandparents, Joseph Howard and Ann Shelton Howard, who left Birmingham, England and came to Salt Lake Valley to join the Saints. With them came nine children ranging in age between two years and seventeen. Two sons had preceded them to America and worked to earn money to assist the rest of the family in coming. I pay tribute to their faith and courage. When Joseph and Ann and their nine children began their journey, they were filled with the hope of being reunited with their sons, William and Thomas. Ann's dreams were never realized. She reached America, but before she reached Salt Lake City, she had buried a four-year-old daughter in August and a two-year old daughter in September. In October of 1864, she died and was buried at Bitter Creek. My Grandfather had to continue on with seven children and no wife. My mother was the twin sister of the four-year-old that died. They settled in Bountiful, Utah. She had vivid memories of many hardships their family endured. I remember her telling about one of her assignments to help the family survive. It was to pick wild berries up in the canyon. She has told of picking berries and being startled by a big bear on the other side of the bush. Other experiences were: scrubbing floors with sand, making soap from fat rendered from the meat, washing clothes on a scrub board, and carrying water in pails for quite a distance. No matter what was asked of them by the Church Leaders, they were anxious to serve to the best of their ability. My father, John Dean, walked barefoot a good part of the way to the Salt Lake Valley and tells of surviving for a period of two weeks on Sego Lily bulbs and tree bark. His father was sent to Woodruff, Utah to assist in the colonization there.

I pay tribute to both parents for their conviction and dedication to supporting and sustaining the authorities of the Church. Their sacrifices have been a strengthening factor in my testimony.

In February of 1978, Nephi and Arlinda moved to Tempe, Arizona to be close to Evelyn and Kenneth. Nephi enjoyed about 3 1/2 years there in the warm climate. They had a nice home with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, family room, Arizona room, dishwasher, double ovens, a "his" storage & work room that housed his saw and all of his tools. There was also a "hers" storage room that opened out from the Arizona room and stored the freezer and the empty fruit jars and quilting frames etc. There were huge storage cupboards in the Arizona room that accommodated all of her canned fruit. No more trips into the basement - it was right at her fingertips. On June 1st 1981, Nephi finished his evening meal and pushed his chair back from the table and said, "that was a good supper, mamma." He then went into a sinking spell and fell over the table edge. Arlinda grabbed the phone and dialed Kenneth. Within seconds, he was there and lifted Dad to the sofa. He had a peaceful passing.

Arlinda remained in the home until September of 1986 at which time she fell and broke her hip. After that time, she lived with Evelyn and Kenneth until her passing in June 1991.


We moved to Rose in 1916. Darwin was born 28 February 1918. We had a bunch of sheep so Ephraim took care of the farms and Nephi took care of the sheep. We put the sheep with the James G. Johnston's sheep and Nephi went out as overseer. We went with Nephi in the spring after school was out. We had a house on the meadow and Nephi would go and move the camps when needed. We had the bucks on the meadow and he cared for them. When there was extra work on the farm, the boys would go down and help, such as thinning beets and hoeing. I had a sewing machine up there so I made the clothes for the kids in the summer for them to go to school with when fall came. Then we would go back to the valley and Nephi would stay there until time to bring the sheep out. So I got home in time for the canning.

I was Primary teacher and Sunday School teacher. Nephi was a Home Teacher. We lived across the street from Hiatt's. Then we sold that place and moved into the Alma Jackman's place. I was in the Relief Society Presidency with Emma Mitchell and Zella Christensen. In the winter, the snow would get so bad that many times we had to go to Relief Society meetings on horseback. In 1935 we sold the sheep and moved to Groveland.


I was born to Nels Sorensen and Mary Larson Sorensen at Chesterfield, Idaho on 7 August 1892. I had six brothers and one sister. Mother and Father came from Denmark in 1884 and settled in Chesterfield. I was baptized 7 August 1900. We moved to Blackfoot, Idaho in 1902. I worked at home with my parents on the farm until 1912 when the folks moved to Logan on account of Father's health. Brother Ephraim and I tended the farm until the fall of 1915 when Ephraim moved to Rose. I was married to Arlinda Dean in the Salt Lake Temple in December of 1915. We bought a farm in Rose in 1917. In 1921 we sold the farm and started in the sheep business. We homesteaded some land up on Brockman Creek. I built a cabin and the family would spend the summer up there with me. We sold the sheep in 1937 and moved the family to Groveland to be near Arlinda's parents. I went to work as sheep foreman for Leonard Cox of Shelley, who had 11 bands of sheep. In 1942, I quit Cox and went to work for the Idaho Potato Starch Company. I worked there until 1965.

There were five children born to us. I was a ward teacher for many years. I worked as Sunday School Superintendent for a few years and then was secretary for the High Priest Quorum. We moved to Tempe, Arizona in February of 1978.

Arlinda Dean Sorensen

Nephi Sorensen

Arlinda Dean Sorensen

Nephi Sorensen

Arlinda & Nephi Sorensen


Arlinda & Nephi Sorensen Golden Wedding Anniversary - Groveland, Idaho 1965
Back Row - Kenneth Whyte, Darwin & Ruth Sorensen, Rosemary & Harold Sorensen & Richard Keller
Front Row - Evelyn Sorensen Whyte, Arlinda & Nephi Sorensen & Veliene Sorensen Keller

Darwin & Mildred Sorens

Evelyn Sorensen

 Harold Sorensen

Dean Sisters
Julia Hale, Arlinda Sorensen, Janie Chapman, Dorothy Yancey, Louella Sorensen & Mary Black

Nephi & Arlinda Sorensen's Home in Groveland, ID

Nephi & Arlinda Sorensen's Home in Tempe, AZ

Dean Sisters
Front to Back
Mary Elizabeth, Julia, Sarah Jane, Dorothy, Louella, & Arlinda