Family Memories of Martha Hipp Dickson
Sarepta, Mississippi

 [see also "Hog Killing Days"]

 [most of this written in the 1980’s]


Martha Virginia Hipp (30 Jun 1927 – Present) – married Raymond Delaine "Dick" Dickson Sr. 19 April 1943.
Martha was the daughter of Dwight Moody Hipp & Virgie Yancy.  Virgie Yancy was the youngest daughter of William L. Yancy of  Calhoun County, Mississippi.


The year is 1984. I look at this date and realize that my knowledge of my ancestors dates back over one hundred fifty years. I can recall a number of them by name. I have heard different stories of their lives and such. I have personal knowledge of my grandfather and some of his brothers. I have often thought that for those who will come after us that someone should put down, in black and white, the known history. There will perhaps be a person who will want to fill in the blank spaces and take the time to search out the records and learn more about this large group of people who have, to a degree, shaped the lived of those of us who carry the family name.


Maybe I am the one to begin putting this record together but know there are others out there also. Daddy begged me to do this years ago and now I see that I really waited too long even though I did start before he passed on. He could not believe some of the things I told him that could be found in the Library. I have added other names, places dates and little bits of news items about the family, because ~ also was interested in all of them. In looking, you find a lead to a new line then you are into another family in another time period. It just keeps growing and growing. I have tried to put it together in hopes that it will be of value to the coming generations who did not know the people in this history as well as I did. Each of you will remember "the family" in a different way because no two of us experienced it in quite the same way.


Where does my memory of the family begin? In the small town in Sarepta, Calhoun County, Mississippi. It is the first spot that I remember real well. I do remember a little about the house near Papa Hipp's and Uncle Billy Ragland with the peg leg. I remember that we once scraped out yards down to the dirt, no grass at all, the rose bushes and such were so pretty. I think Mama Hipp had about the cleanest yard I know of and so many different kind of flowers. So different from the time now that we let our yards grow up in grass, never heard of this when I was growing up. My path through life has carried me to many places and to some other countries, but there has remained inside me that part that belongs to the red clay hills of Sarepta.


My parents, Dwight Moody and Virgie (Yancy) Hipp both went to Shady Grove School, then married and first lived on the George McGill place where James was born. They lived in the Shady Grove community for a while then moved to Sarepta where the Hipp House still stands. Before we purchased it, it was owned by Mothers brother, Jack Yancy. He moved to Pittsboro after selling us the place.


I spent many hours over at Gramps and Auntie. They talked to me and told me about ghost stories and such. We would always gather at Gramps on Sunday. I will always remember the eating time. The men ate first, then the women and last the children and by this time there were no choice pieces of chicken left. All of us children wanted to set on the long bench that Gramps had. Later in years I wanted this bench and got it out of the storm house up at Sarepta where Uncle Euel and Aunt Jet lived, took it to Memphis with me and found out that it was just rotten inside.


We were not allowed to go to Sarepta by ourselves, that is walk over there for the men would either be drunk or gambling in the gullies before you got to the town. When I was growing up there were several stores there but now it is so dead. We had a large school and gym when I graduated but before that we played basketball on dirt courts and also played Tula who also had dirt courts. Jean and I would clean the toilets just to get out of the classroom. I look back now and brother we must have hated school mighty bad to do that job. Too this gave us a chance to talk to Dick and Wesley for they would clean the boy’s toilets.


Each year when school was out Mother would give us castor oil the next day after school and I can tell you it really did its job. I had to take chill tonic which was just terrible, cod liver oil, all those ole remedies. If we had a cold they would grease our chest real good then put this wool cloth on it. For coughing she would put sugar in a teaspoon and pour coal oil on that and brother that was a dose -  believe you me. They would gather up sassafras roots and boil them and we would drink the tea from that. I think this was good for the blood; it has been so long that I have forgotten just what but we used it a lot. It tasted rather good too.


Back in those days they purchased sugar and flour by the barrel. Lard was rendered from hog fat. I can remember when killing hogs. Auntie was real good at cutting the fat off of the intestines. Then she would clean them and cook them as chittlings. She would blow up the hog stomach, put peas in it? She would let it dry and we could play with that. They would rub the meat down, hang it in the smoke house. We would make skinny sacks to put the sausage in and also hang it up in the smoke house. This is the meat we used all year long until the next year for we did not have an ice box or refrigerator to put our things in.


There were times that someone would kill a beef and come around and sell it to the other families, also goat. You would only buy what you could cook that day. On Sunday morning Daddy would always go out and kill a chicken and we always had our fried chicken for breakfast each Sunday morning. Of course when company came we would fry some more but every Sunday morning that was our treat, As long as I was at home we did not have an ice box or refrigerator nor electric lights. We would always get Uncle Howard Yancy to cook our lard out for he was the best around for that.


Soap was made with lye and fat and wood ashes, then cooked, cooled and but into bars. We also made our hominy and it is much better than the hominy that you buy. Aunt Lindy(colored) would come over and help mother. We would catch rain water in barrels for our washing and bathing. We would boil the white clothes and such in the ole black wash pot and scrub on a scrub board, then put blueing in the water you rinsed with to make the white clothes real bright. We would starch everything and iron with the ole heating irons. In the summer time we would iron out in the yard where it was much cooler than in the house.


We always had fruit trees to make jelly and such, always pick yellow and red plums and make jelly out of that. We had a cellar under the house where we kept our canned goods through the winter. We would cut off apples and dry them on tin then sack them up and make fried pies out of that. They were so good. Mother would make pies sometime our of just cocoa and sugar and butter, fold it over and cook it like fried fruit pies. This was very good.


In the summer time we would get up early and head for the field. We would always chop cotton the Monday after the third Sunday in May. We also had to feed and milk the cows. Sometime we would have to get up around 4am in the morning, milk the cows then get ready for school for we rode a wagon to school. We wanted to walk but Mother and Daddy would not let us. It was really cold riding the wagon to school. For lunch we would take biscuits and sausage or whatever you had to put in them, Some would take bake potatoes (sweet) , these were good cold also.


As soon as we got home we would have to get biscuits and eat us a snack. We also had to feed and milk at night time. In the back porch we had this separator that would separate the milk and leave the cream to use. You would let your milk set for so many days by the fire then churn it and make butter from that and use the buttermilk to cook with. We also made our peanut butter and cheese, wish I could remember just how we did that. Auntie would make the best tea cakes, do not get anything like that these days.


We would pop corn over the fire in the fireplace, We only had the one fire place and if you got back to the back of the room you would freeze. When Opal and I would walk across the hall to our bedroom, Mother would heat an iron and wrap it in some towels and put to our feet. We would have so many quilts on us that you could not turn over. Next morning you would have to make the feather bed. I really hated that too for you could never get it smooth all over.


Most houses had a back porch which had a shelf where a wash-pan sat with a bucket and dipper. We had a well, you would let the bucket down slowly until you heard it blubber then draw it up and pour into the bucket. The water was very good. Some folks had cisterns, Aunt Velma and Uncle Bill Joe did. Uncle Emory and Aunt Fannie Lou had this spring way away from the house but  was so good; they would lay poles across and hang their milk in the spring to keep it cool. Some of the water buckets were made of cedar, bound with copper bands. Everyone drank from the same dipper. There was this wash pan where everyone washed their hands in before eating. Your towels were also hung out there by the wash stand.


For our bath we would draw a tub full of water and let it set out in the sun where it would be warm at night time but there were many a night that we would have to take a bath and you talk about cold brother it was cold. Out toilets were way away from the house, no toilet tissue back then, you used ole catalogs for your toilet paper. I can remember when Gramps and Auntie got their new toilet, it was one of these new ones with concrete floor to it but still used the catalogs for paper. I would always have to go in the middle of the night especially every time it rained and Daddy would have to get UP and go with me, I can remember him doing that even after Nancy was born. We had a chamber that we used at night time and I always said if I ever got able to live without that thing I would never go back to that. I am so thankful for bathrooms in these modern days.


On Sundays we would get dressed and go to Sunday School and church. We would ride with Mr. Bernard Cooper, he had this ole truck and had this bed on it that we rode on. We would want to sit on the side and hang our feet off or on the back like the older ones but Mother would not let us, would make us get up in the middle of the truck and sit. Back then I thought she was an old fogie and a lot of other things but now I think of Timothy and Suzanna doing that and I cringe with fear. If we had revival we would ride with Mr. Bernard Cooper also. He carried most of the community on that ole truck for no one else had a car back in those days. He would drive over and get Auntie. We would tease her about him but Auntie did not care. We would go to the Methodist, Baptist or whatever church there was holding revivals.


We would have all day Singings at different churches. One Sunday was at one place and the next Sunday at another church. The singing went on all day with a noon meal being served by the families. Some of them were "Old Harp" singing. I can remember Gramps having a book but I could never make any sense out of it. He enjoyed those and also he would go once a year to the Primitive Baptist church and this is where they washed each other’s feet. In the summer is when they would have a week of revival and have a visiting preacher erne to do the preaching. He would be invited to different houses each day for meals. We enjoyed these especially if we could walk to church. I can remember one time this was going on and Edna Earl Womble came to spend the week with Jean. She was all dressed up and had this dress on with buttons all way down the back. Well Shorty Grrist and some other boys were setting behind us. Someone had joined the church and when we stood, Shorty attached one of these fans (furnished by funeral homes) onto one of those buttons near the bottom of the dress, As she walked down the aisle to shake the hand of the new members with the fan just dangling from her dress. (And they talk about the children today!)


We would have plays at school, box suppers and such. You would fix up a box with fruit and such and decorate it in the most attractive manner that you could come up with. The bidding took place with the men bidding what they wished on for the box. Sometime if others could learn whose box that was and usually you could tell by which boy was bidding on it, they would run it up to where he would have to pay a good price for his girls box. Then you would pair off and eat together. The rule was that no one knew whose box they were buying but the dating pair found a way to have someone else bid the box off for them. We would also have things to do at school on Halloween time. I know there was a time or two that we drew names and had this large Christmas Tree up on the stage


In the summer they would play baseball at school. I can remember when they had big games in this field near Uncle Emory’s and one time the ball went into the creek and Walter Cooper fell in when he went to get it. Once we got the gym we would play ball in it and go to different tournaments. We had a good ball team too. I have heard that when Uncle Jack went over there, the girls did not have enough girls to make a team and he played with them.


We finally had a lunch room, this was held in Mrs. Carrie Fillips store there in Sarepta or this is the first one that I remember. We would leave school, walk through the woods over to town to eat. Then when they built the gym we ate in there. We did not have money to buy our lunch and there were no free ones then so you could take canned goods and they would give you credit for that against your meals that you ate. The ones who did not have money could also work in the lunch room clearing the tables and such for their lunch.


We would always have "Cemetery Workings"; this would be once a year. I enjoyed this or going to it for so many folks came and scraped all the grass off of the cemetery, the graves were rounded up back then and you kept all the grass off, you' would bring your lunch spread it and visit. Like the yards, now they have them all level and grass growing on it.


In our old school house the Masons would meet up stairs. They always told us that it was a goat up there and it would butt you. I really believe this and am sure other small children did also. I was so surprised when I finally got to see up there and you think I looked for a goat, you bet I did but no such thing.


Too we or some children had lice in school but back then it was sort of a shame to get them. Mother told me not to let this one person, John Paul Harrison put on my cap or me put on his, well that was just like saying go on and do it which I did and brother did she ever have a time getting those things off. I would have to go home each day and let her comb it with a find tooth come and I have forgotten what she washed it in but did not have the modern things that folks have these days.


Back in those days I had to wear long socks and I just hated them, also long underwear and such. I also had to wear overalls and at that time I said if I ever got grown I would never wear that stuff. I will not wear Blue Jeans either, no matter how stylish they are.  To me they are just a modern version of Overalls. Had to wear long coats, ole overshoes, not the nice ones like today, they had metal fasteners. Today I do not wear a coat unless it is freezing and never take an umbrella or overshoes or such as that.


You did not have money living on the farm. Cotton was the primary source of ready cash and sometime you did not have a good crop of this. We would have to pull those long sacks of cotton, pick cotton in the cold weather (that is if we did not have it out) and those burrs would prick your fingers and they would bleed. My back hurts just thinking of pulling that sack. It was fun to ride on someone else’s sack if you could find someone crazy enough to pull you. We also cut soybeans and this was also something that tore up your hands. I was wearing Dick’s graduation ring and lost it in cutting beans. I knew I lost it in the field cutting those beans but could never find it. After we were married and Nancy was about 6 months old or such, in fact it was the second Sunday in August at the Lantrip all day singing, Big Mama, myself and Nancy were setting by this window trying to get some air. Big Daddy walked up to the window and asks if I had seen that ring before. I could hardly believe it. It had gone through the crusher and they found it there.  


When we picked cotton or worked in the field we would come to the house at dinner time, eat then lay down on quilts in the hallway of the house and take a nap. Of course Opal and I giggled all time and by the time we got to sleep it was time to get up and on the move again.


At night time we would take corn and shell it by hand to feed to the chickens. We got a corn sheller and that was a big improvement to this. We would shell corn take down to Uncle Phil Freemans and they would grind it into meal to use for cooking. We also got the commodities back then. Daddy would get a sack of flour in a flowered sack, then the next time he would take the sack and try to match it and most of the time he did and we made our dresses from this. Aunt Velma did a lot of our sewing for us.


Our sheets were made from fertilizer sacks, you would take four of them and feld the seams and you would have a nice sheet, that is after bleaching the sacks out, they were real soft. The Pillow cases were made from the same sacks and you usually would embroider designs on these. Our towels were also made from these sacks and were also soft.


We would grow sorghum,  then Mr. Bernard Cooper would come and set his mill up. Dicks grandfather Arnold also had one. This mill was set up on a wooden platform, it was a round made of metal with an opening in the center and a cylinder, or press on either side. A long pole attached to the press extended outward. A Mule harnessed to the pole walked around and around the mill turning the press to crush stalks of sorghum fed into it. Juice extracted ran from the mill to be collected. The cooking vat was an oblong pit with a series of pans set on top of the fire. As juice from the sorghum mill was collected, it was poured into the pans. As it cooked a man would skim froth from the boiling juice. Each pan cooked until it was a thick syrup, then when it reached a certain stage it was cooled, then poured into earthenware jugs, or cans. We always had molasses at breakfast time. Some time Mr. Bernand would make good ones then again he would not. Uncle Fred Yancy also made molasses.


Auntie cooked a lot on the fireplace, she would put sweet potatoes in this black dutch oven and set them on the fire, also some hung the dinner pot filled

with turnip greens and such by the fire and also cooked them that way.


We cooked on a wood stove which had a warmer above where the food could be kept warm in the winter but left the food on the table and cover it with a cloth in the summer time. This stove had a reservoir on the side and this is where you kept the water warm. It always had to be kept filled.


Summer time was for canning. Seems like we put up everything. Daddy would always put up a churn of tomato pickles and they were so good. He would keep them in the cellar and you would just go and lift the top off and get a bowl of pickles to eat. We would dry lima beans and peas and such to cook in the winter time. These had to be soaked overnight before being cooked the next day. We did the canning on the wooden stoves also. I hated washing all those jars for canning, you did not have the kind of tops that pop when sealed as you do now. That was one thing we had we had plenty of food to eat.


You did not waste anything back then. I remember Daddy burying the turnips in the ground where they would stay during the winter time or maybe he made a mound of dirt and put them in it.


When we mopped the floors it was with this large wooden frame with shucks stuffed into holes in the frame and would mop the wooden floors with lye soap to make them white looking and so clean. The mop was so heavy and I do mean heavy.


When Nancy was born, Big Mama stayed in the Hospital with me. This was the night that Daddy got drunk and ran Mother off. She got up under the house and  stayed until Opal came in from a date. Then they went over to Aunt Jets. Time came for me to go home I was carried home in an ambulance, was not allowed to stand on my feet for 7 more days. I was really taken good care of then. I have always been one that can sleep sound and Jean would have to wake me up and let Nancy nurse when she was a baby. Well when Nancy got a year old we thought it was time to wean her but Big Mama said no it was not but she had to go to the hospital with a kidney stone and Jean and I decided we would wean her. We painted my breast with shoe polish. Nancy would want it but would not take it and just rub and touch the breast. This weaned her but Big Mama was mad when she came out of the hospital treating that baby that way. Yes she was spoiled but good.


When Paula came along, she had a hard time getting here. She was due in November. Dr. Julius Douglass gave me quine, castor oil and such trying to put me in labor. Inez and Mike Whitten spent the night where they could take us to the hospital, well nothing happened. The next week we went to the hospital and he gave me a shot, well I had a few pains but not real labor. I had taken my knitting with me. He said, that is not the type of knitting I was wanting you to do. He then said we would just let Nature take its course and she decided she would come into this world on the 15th of December. We had this friend, name, John Paul Harrison that we grew up with and if it was a boy we would name him Lainy Paul, after him and Dick. Well she arrived and we just used the same name, changing it to a girls name, Paula Laine, worked out real well. You talk about being spoiled, we thought Nancy was but this Paula was really a stinky. When she was about two years old she began to have these fits. She would just scream when she got mad and then just faint away. Aunt Ruth said she could still see Poor Virgie coming around the side of the house with that lifeless child dangling in her arms. Would scare Mother to death each time she did this and by the time Mother walked up to Aunt Ruth's she would be all right. Dick finally mentioned this to Dr. Buck. He told Dick that a little peach tree tea would do her good. Dick thought he was crazy, he said how in the world can you spank a child when they are laying there lifeless, needlessly to say she never got a spanking for that. Am sure it would have helped. Dick did whip her one time trying to get her to tell Big Mama she was sorry. Bull headed Paula would not do it, This just killed Big Mama to see him whip Paula but she finally said she was sorry. Once Nancy sassed Mother and I slapped her before I thought for I do not think you should slap a child. This also hurt Mother real bad to have seen me do that. Just guess Grandparents do not like to see their precious ones spanked and not corrected too much I guess.


Mother, the girls and myself always made every parade back in those days. We did not miss any. We would catch the bus and take our little suitcase along filled with drinks and goodies and always go up about an hour or two before the parade started where we would get a good seat on the curb, Our place was up there at Brys Department Store, across the street. It is now a high rise apartment place. We would take them and always have a couple more with us and go to the fair grounds and spend the afternoon, Mother and I would walk around while the children would ride and play. We made the zoo quite often in those days also.


When Paula and Nancy went to Frayser School, after about two weeks they came in and said we better never get divorced for they would not live with either one of us, we ask why did they come up with that. Come to find out some of their friends had two sets of parents. They were small but they did not like this at all.


I started smoking and smoked for a number of years, having Mr. Douglass bring them to me from Missouri for you did not pay as much if you purchased them there. Well one day the girls said they wanted to talk to me about something so I said O.K. They said they wished I would stop smoking for they were ashamed to have anyone know their mother smoked. Well I stopped, was not hard to do with them setting me straight on that.


When Ray came along the whole family was so happy. Dick finally had him a boy. All the while we all were wishing for a boy because Big Mama and Big Daddy had all girls at that time as grandchildren. Pauline Anderson said when she went over to tell Big Daddy that he just jumped straight up in the floor and let out a large WHOOPEE. Well by the time I came home from the hospital Big Daddy and Big Mama came up. Well naturally when you pull the diaper off of a child they usually wet. Ray did this and it went way up on my curtains. Well Paula got on the phone and called her teacher to tell her about it. Big Daddy really laughed at that, he said they were telling all Frayser that Ray wet on the curtains. This little boy who was sweet  on Nancy then just had to come by and see the new baby.


Nancy & Paula would get so amazed at how smart Ray was. When he was about 4 or 5 years old he could operate our movie projector and of course I let him. Then when he was in kindergarten over at Mrs. Bumgardner's, he would be so bored that she went downtown and got him some French material and taught him French. He began to cry not to go back over there and I said I was not giving in, this just about killed mother to know he went over there crying when he could stay home with her. Finally Dick said I will try him a little longer but if he still cries then I will take him out. He mention this to Mrs. B. one day in the grocery store. She said that is fine. He is your child and you do what you want to but I will give you a little advice, if you are going to let this little 4 year old child rule you now you better stop and think what he might do at the age of 16. We never did take Ray out and he went for two years. At this time Mrs. B. told me that  he was smart enough to go into the first grade at 5 years but I would have to put him in private school. At this time Presbyterian. Day school was the best and it was all boys so Mrs. B. wanted me to check with them. I did and this headmaster was so nice. He said that Ray might be ready book wise but he was not social wise and he advised me to leave him alone. He said that by starting then it would always throw him in with a class much older than he was and too even when he got into public school, if they ever wanted to they could throw him back into a lower grade which would really harm him. We just let things ride and still think that was the best choice.  Ray did not have anyone to play with when we moved back over on Autumn for 2 years where Nancy could attend Central High School. At that time the best in the City of Memphis. I went to St. Peters Orphanage and signed up for this little boy Rays age. He was a doll, Mike Cunningham. Every Saturday we looked forward to going and picking up Mike . He and Ray played real good together. After Two years he seemed right at home but it took him about 4 months to ever open up and start talking to us. We really enjoyed having Mike in our home to play with Ray.


I remember when Ray also became a Christian. He wanted to go and talk to  Brother Mizell which he did one afternoon. The following Sunday he accepted Christ as his Savior.  I for one know he has also received many  blessings from his Lord. 


Ray and Dick went on many camping trips with the Boy Scouts. I worked in it as a Den Mother for about 13 years, went in when Ray was and never thinking  I would stay so long. I would always have to fix the food up for Ray would always volunteer. He knew I did not mind at all and would always fix Hamburgers ,sliced potatoes, carrots and wrap it in foil. Dick was always ready, to go camping with them when they went, I think he enjoyed it as much as Ray,


I really enjoyed the girls and Dick sure did Ray. When Ray was small he always put him in that infant seat on his day off and took him around with him. There is not many men who would do that for it is much easier to leave the children at home.


By Mother living with us, Dick and I were able to do so much more with our. children than other parents. Mother kept the house, did the cooking and the was and the cleaning up of it. This gave us the free time to go with the children. We were always ready to serve them and they knew this for they would always volunteer our services. Dick would always go down on his day off and eat lunch with them at Grammar School. That way he knew all the teachers much more than I did. By him doing this each year when time came to change grades, Mrs. Griffin (the principal) would always see to it that our children got the best teachers. Also they were always in the Catton Carnival as pages and such when they went through that school. We could go on vacation at the time you were suppose to register and Mrs. Griffin would have the children all ready to go when time came. Mrs. Gillespie was also a help in all of this too.


The girls and I would go downtown at night time, ride the bus and never think anything about it, you cannot do that now and it is so sad for we had lots of good times together. Dick and I were glad when they learn to drive for then they could do all of our running around together, and we did not have to go do it. I am sure they got tired of that, unless it was Paula and she would make so many detours by way of McDonalds and such just looking for the crowd. Her trips reminded me of the little boy in the funny paper in All our family. His trips are about like hers use to be.


During Ray's high school days Dick got him a pool table. I had wanted a den so had hut no Dick said it was going to be a pool room which it was. Ray's friends would come by and want to play even when Ray was not here. They would stay back there for hours playing, never did hear anything out of them, they were all good kids.


1991 -  retired and living in Bruce, MS.


Other Notes:  


Raymond Dickson lived in Memphis, Tn. He served in the World War II Battles. He and Martha Hipp ran off and got married, she was 15 , he was 19. After the  service he farmed for one year then moved to Memphis Tn. started working for A & P. He worked for them until they closed the stores which was about 31

years. Martha worked for Dealers Truckstell Sales,Inc. then quit for a couple of years then went back to work for them part time . She then started working for Dealers Industrial Power Company and with both companies she worked 34 years. She is now working part time for Dealers Industrial Power Company.


We purchased our first home at 2650 Autumn, then purchased 8 acres at 1851 Getwell, across now from the Buick Place near the Expressway. It came a flood and almost got into the house so we purchased this house in Frayser and have lived there ever since.  We rented this house near Aunt Ruth McGuire. When Paula was born Uncle Mac just worshipped her. When she was about two years old, he let it be known that no one was to spank "stinky" as he called her and she was a stinky too.


When Ray was 3 years old we started camping each summer. These were real enjoyable trips. Usually we would take either Big Daddy & Big Mama with us some time. We took them on this trip to Yellowstone Park and poor Big Mama stayed covered up with a quilt most of the time through the mountains, At different times we would take Sue, Dorothy Jean and Annette with us.


We went to California.  Annette went with us there. We almost froze spending the night at Bluewater Lake in Grants, New Mexico. This was our first camping trip and we learned a lot. I only took short pants for Dick since it was summer time. He almost froze so he said he would do his packing next time .


Sue went with us to Washington, D.C. she was so tiny then and made her so mad for folks (especially boys) to think she was a little girl when she was really a teenager.


Dorothy Jean went with us to Montreal Worlds Fair. This was such a nice trip, we went over to Mackinaw Island, then through Canada. It was such a lovely place, Daddy and Ethel also went with us to this fair. Ethel only wanted to see the Robot Man and have it light her cigarette for her which we did but had a heck of a time finding that building,.


Daddy also went with us to the East Coast and New York, Vermont,  New Hampshire and Maine. I had told him we were going to get up early and see the sun come over Cadillac Mountain and did he want to go.

He said no he had seen plenty of sun rises. When we woke the next morning he got up and went and was glad he did for it was such a beautiful sight.


During the growing up of the children , Mother lived with us and we only had the one bathroom, When they all left we then needed two this was strange because it was only Dick and I but believe you me when all the children were home we needed the extra bath. We have had such a good life and the Lord has blessed our family much more than I could ever say in words. I prayed years ago to just live until my children got grown and out on their own. He has granted this and I am thankful.





Dwight  & Virgie (Yancy) Hipp
 with children James & Martha




Raymond D Dickson Sr. with daughter Nancy (1944)







Children of Raymond D. & Martha (Hipp) Dickson

Nancy Kay Dickson (1943)

Paula Laine Dickson (1947)
Raymond D Dickson Jr  (1955)


Ronald Michael Ratliff and Nancy worked in Washington, DC for the first years of their marriage, then moved to Knoxville, TN and then on to Memphis for a number of years then to Tupelo ,Miss and now at Verona, Mississippi. He works as a supervisor in this factory. Nancy works for the First Baptist Church in Tupelo. Alicia works in the Hospital there in Tupelo. Kim is living with Opal Mackay in Fairfax, Virginia at this time.(1988)


Nancy was a perfectionist when she was growing up. School was most important to her. During the summer months she would gather up all the little children (mostly the Bridges) and she and Paula would teach school. When she was in the 9th grade she was voted Far Most Frayserite and has this plaque for that. She made the highest point score in the school at that time. They had one day just for that.  She was not one to idle away her time. It was always spent on something conservative, no dillying or dallying for this girl. Until she was 4 years she was spoiled rotten and when Dick carne home from the service Big Mama told him that he could not spank her for she had gone all these years without that. We would bundle her up and walk to Sarepta at night time to the basketball games, she was about 1 1/2 years old and Big Mama, Big Daddy and I would take turns in carrying her. She had this little red snow suit that we had purchased for her when she and I visited Dick in Grand Island Nebraska before he went overseas. Opal really worried about Paula being left out when she was born. Dick would ride the bus up town to pay bills and such and would always dress Nancy up and take her along with him.


One time in Autumn she, Paula and Larry Wayne Hill (relative) were outside playing and my washing machine came up filled up with sand, I whipped them and Betty Jean whipped Larry. My girls said they didn’t  do it so guess this is the only time that I whipped them when they were not guilty.


When Nancy was in Kindergarten and first grade school. She went to Lawler in the Binghampton area. She was so thin and pale. We carried her to every child doctor in the town almost and they could’nt find anything wrong with her, not even with the blood test. Aunt Ottie and them were down one time and they or she said if we did not have something done for the child she was going to die and she believed she had Leukemia. James suggested trying his doctor, Dr. Burkhalter on Highland. I took her there and he could find nothing but said he would run this timely test with her blood and see what came up which he did and he carne up with Rheumatic fever. She took sulphur drugs each day for years and she had to have plenty of rest.


The school saw to it that she rested after eating her lunch each day. I suppose we must have done a good job as she has not had any trouble with it so far. Dr. Ferrel Varner said we probably would not have any trouble until she reached her 30th birthday. I do not know what he meant and did not ask him. I can remember just what dress she had on. when she accepted Christ as her Savior. It was this striped dress with Peter Pan white collar and cuffs. Taking her Savior as her guide as also paid off for her and her family. He has also blessed this family in so many ways.


Nancy and her children were so good to Mother, they dearly loved that Granny and showed their affections so many times, when they would come to see her. She would go and spend a week at a time with them.






Nils L. Lundgren grew up in Sarnis, Miss.  Paula Laine Dickson  would go visit Sue and this is how she met Nils. After their marriage they went to school in Senatobia, then graduated in Cleveland, Miss. Delta State College, These teachers there told them to check out the teaching system in Missouri so they went to Festus, taught there for a while then moved twice while living there. They started out in an apartment place. They then moved back to Memphis for a while Ann lived in the Bartlett Blue Ridge Area. They then moved back into Festus and lived there for a while and taught school in Hillsboro. They finally moved to Hillsboro.


Paula and Nils had this lovely English Bulldog, named Lundy. She looked so mean but was as gentle as a lamb, do not think she would bite anyone but would chew up the furniture when they left her by herself.


Paula in growing up was exactly like me in so many ways, guess this was why we could understand her better. She was more interested in having a good time than in her books but she passed. lance told Mr. Hester (the speech teacher) that if he could get Paula up before the class and make her talk he was real good, He said well she will he by the end of the year. I did not believe him but she really did. I know we drove to Little Rock, Ark one night to see this play that Nancy was going to be in. At that time Nancy was in college at Ouachita Baptist College.


Paula's friends could not believe that Dick and I would furnish them with toilet paper to roll folks yards but we did and do pot guess

it hurt them too bad. We were lucky though we only got ours messed up one time. Paula and Connie were bad to have slumber parties, I think they had more than their share. Nancy had some but not like Paula did.


Paula loved to dance and I do mean really enjoyed it, She would dance all time holding the door knob and finally broke it off.

She went to Memphis State for a while hut her mind sure was not on studying so the second semester I told her to go get part of my money back and find her a job which she did and she would work part time until she got married. Then she made good grades which we knew she could do all along.


Dick told the girls that he would keep them in material to sew during the summer months which they did, I would take Nancy much longer to sew anything than Paula and I. Hers always looked more professional to but at that time I just did not see pressing each seam that you sewed. I have since learned different.


One night Paula wanted to date this boy, he was the best dressed in Frayser school so we said yes. Well she came in and introduced him and Dick ask him to have a seat, he said no, they were kind of in a hurry. After they left I said; that was not the boy she said she was dating, Dick said how do you know. I said well I know him so the next morning "He let her know that we knew it was a different boy, We really got a laugh over that one, her thinking she was pulling something over on us.


I also remember the outfit Paula had on when she accepted Christ, It was a white blouse and a flowered skirt. Her hair was kind of short and such a glowing within this child that was so precious to us.




Raymond D. Dickson, Jr. went to college at Martin for his education. We got to know the town pretty well. This is where he met and married Janice Adams.  They moved to Germany.  Ray is making a career out of the service.  While they were in Georgia they got this cat Cally. Then they got this kitten which was so cute and playful.


In 1985, (I think) Dick and I went to Germany and spent 3 weeks with Ray. We really toured different places and enjoyed it very much. In Munich I had to go to the rest room and was kind of dark so I was tripping down the steps and said Women are always first and about that time I missed the last step and hit my head against the wall. Had a pump knot for quite a while after that. Later on I heard of two doing the same thing and one broke her neck so again the Lord was looking out for me.


When Ray came back he went to Washington State. Fort Lewis was his base. Dick and I went up for one Christmas (before Timothy was born). This was the time it came that blizzard. We had planned to go to Portland to see Dick’s cousin, Betty Pearl Dickson Phillips. Well we got so far and the news said it had blown the roof off of the airport so I told Ray to just turn around we would miss that trip.


Then Jean, Dick and I flew out there for the Worlds Fair in Vancouver, Canada. This was a lovely trip and really enjoyed the tour. Jan and Ray really had this worked out real well. Timothy made it fine also. Dick got puny and had to spend one day in the motel just resting. One day Jan was to go and help sew up the rips, tears or buttons, etc. on uniforms. Jean and I went along and helped. This was fun and new to us and I know that the service people really appreciate this kind of service while they are away from home.


Ray did a year as a civilian worker at the Magnavox factory in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They lived in Garrett, Ind. I went up and spent some time when Suzanna was born. Nice town where you could go out and walk and never be afraid. I would go a different route each time and one day Timothy and I went to the park and swing, and played.


Ray and Jan called and wanted to know if we wanted a cat. Now neither of us were cat lovers, we were more dog lovers, Dick says he is not either. After knowing it was Cally we also wanted her a good home so we said O.K. I was dreading it because we had never been a cat that spent a lot of time in the house. Well now she is one of us and is a spoiled cat but we love her . Dick really takes up for her like when Paula and them bring Dixie home he says, why does Cally have to stay outside. She doesn't but she wants to when things cannot go her way all time. I sure have learned you cannot make a cat do things like you can a dog. They have a mind all of their own.


At this time (1988) Ray and family are living in Arizona, Fort Huachuca. I rode down with them and it is a lovely place to live. The day we got there we ate at a Burger King. Well up in the top where it was covered by glass, here ran this mouse, it would just run up and down all during the time we ate. Timothy thought that was neat.