DANIEL C. WOOD--OBITUARY

Life Sketch of D. C. Wood of Blackfoot Who Died Recently

Daniel C. Wood, Jr., the son of Daniel and Penninah Cotton Wood born in Pottawamie Co., Iowa, at "Winter Quarters", on the 27th of January, 1847, died in West Blackfoot, Idaho, Sunday evening, June 10, 1934, after a long illness of cancer.

Margaret Ann Edwards Wood, his wife, and the following children survive: Milton and Harold, sons of Margaret, who live on the old homestead in Blackfoot; Daniel T. in Star Valley, Wyoming; Joseph in Soda 5prings,; Sylvia Irvine Hanson and Florence Elvia Sorenson, Wyoming; Elizabeth May Parrish, Franklin D. Victoria Evelyn Hodson of Blackfoot; 82 grandchildren, and 44 great-grandchildren survive.

Daniel was only one year old when his parents crossed the plains and was ill most of the way. His father after entering the Salt Lake Valley in Aug. of 48, came to Bountiful and settled in West Bountiful, where Daniel was raised to manhood. What schooling he had was very meager, for his father educated the children at home, hiring a private teacher. The first one Daniel remembered was Charles Pearson.

As a lad Daniel was his father's herd boy and then the herding grounds were south of Becks Hot Springs, and east in the hills.

Daniel was a lover of horses and when a celebration was held, Daniel was chosen to drive the horses which would be decorated up with tassels and bunting, in the parades. His father had the finest family carriage in the country holding as many persons as an ordinary wagon of today, and Daniel felt very happy when he drove four to six horses hitched to it.

In the year 1869, when Daniel was 22 years old, the Church chose him among many others, to go to Omaha with a team and wagon also a span of mules, to bring emigrants and provisions to the Salt Lake Valley. It was on this trip that he became acquainted with Elizabeth Waddoups for she along with her brother and sister were on their way to the Salt Lake valley from England. They were Thomas and Mary Waddoups.

Daniel and Elizabeth Waddoups were married June 8, 1869 in the Old Endowment house, in Salt Lake City, Utah and from this union ten children were born. He was a man who loved the colonizing of new places, and made friends where ever he went.

Daniel helped in the building of the Salt Lake temple and was present when the corner stone and cap stone were laid, also when it was dedicated, a privilege he deemed worthy of mention many times. It was also his joy to be present in the Salt Lake tabernacle, when President Heber C. Kimball predicted "that food stuff and clothing would be brought in the valley of Salt Lake cheaper than in the states within a very short time. He says this come true, for when Johnson's army was discharged, by the government, all of their belongings were sold so cheap that it astounded the pioneers themselves.

Daniel served a short mission to Arizona in 1873, in company with Captain Horten Haight and the object of their mission was to teach the Indians how to farm and cultivate the soil. Bishop Roundy was sent to report the condition of the soil and as it was not as thought to be the Elders were only there seven or eight months. He was a member of the Mormon Battalion with Lot Smith as captain. The head quarters were at Farmington, Utah and the field for practice was down on the Jordon river, where Johnson's army had camped. They were later discharged, as the government was uneasy, because they were not under its control.

When the Utah Central railway was laid in 1869 through his father's farm, from whom "Woods Cross" was named. Daniel got the contract to get all the ties for the road, from Harvey Perkins on the north of Bountiful to Ephraim Hatch's on the south and this took over 700 tons of timber.

The first home he built was the rock house which now stands just east of Woods Cross, owned by Andrew Anderson, on the Joseph Wood farm. Daniel later sold out to Cyril Call and bought the Burnham farm and after a few years sold this 155 acre farm to Mr. Baskin and the place has been called the "Baskin Ranch" ever since. The family then moved to Rockland, where his brother Heber had located, some time before. This did not altogether please Daniel and he after a year or so's stay, sold to Henry Houtz, and moved his family into Star Valley. It was while in this place that he left for a mission to Great Britain, in the year 1893 on February 14th leaving his wife with nine children. While on his mission, Daniel made the acquaintance of Margaret Ann Edwards, whom he afterwards married for his wife Elizabeth died two years after his return, in 1895 and was buried in Star Valley, Wyo. Three children were born to their last union, Milton, Harold and Andrew.

[missing]

He cut, hewed and sized each tie himself, getting the timber from Mill Creek canyon in Bountiful and every tie was accepted and he got 50 cents a tie. He was present when the road was finished and was among the number who had a free ride to Ogden and back with a free dinner at Ogden to finish the day. This was in 1870.

The Bountiful tabernacle which still stands as a monument to the noble pioneers, Daniel also helped to build and was present when it was dedicated by President Brigham Young.

In the year 1906 Daniel moved his family to West Blackfoot where he bought an 30 acre farm where he was living at the time of his death, which meant that he had lived to the ripe old age of 87.

Funeral services were held in the Thomas ward meeting house at 3 o'clock p.m. The building he helped to build, for he moved in that locality shortly after the ward was organized. Services were conducted by Bishop P. B. Dance, assisted by Brother Erwin Evans. Inez W. Evans, a niece read a sketch of his life, and the funeral ceremony was preached by Mr. Royal M. Jepson of Blackfoot. The musical numbers were "Come Weary Soul," "My Task" and Resignation, all rendered by Mr. and Mrs. David Watt. The interment was in the Thomas ward cemetery, in Blackfoot, Idaho. Joseph C. Wood, his only living brother dedicated the grave and his grandsons acted as pallbearers.

[No sources given]
Typed from a photocopy of original by
Norma Jean M. Wood
22 July 1991
  1