DANIEL WOOD SCHOOL.
Daniel Wood with his wives Mary and Peninah and their five children, names Rebecca, John, Harriet, Elizabeth, and Daniel Jr. came to the Salt Lake Valley on July 2i, 1848, and settled for the winter on a tract of land in Sessions Settlement, later known a.North Canyon Ward, and then Bountiful. Daniel built a log cabin for the winter, where they were quite comfortable.
In the spring of 1849 Daniel traveled south and north, then west. He decided to take up one hundred twenty acres of land one half mile north and one and one half miles west of his winter cabin, which was' built on the land later occupied by the Heber C. Kimball Mill, now known as Fourth East, Sixth South, Bountiful.
He built an adobe house sixteen feet wide, thirty-two feet long, and two stories high. There was kitchen, workroom, living room on the first floor, and four bedrooms upstairs.
In 1854 he built a large room on the back of the house for a schoolroom. His now third wife, Emma Maria E. Wood, and English girl and convert of Plymouth, England, who emigrated to Utah about 1850, became Daniel's third wife and the first teacher of Daniel Wood School in 1854. She taught for three years, with at first only six pupils and later other neighbors wished to have their children attend, and paid for the tuition in produce. Children of William S. Muir, Edwin Pace, Robert Marshall, and a Mrs. Clark's two daughters, Martha Clark and Phebe J. Clark and others attended. Emma taught the school until Charles Edwin Pearson came to the Wood Farm through Brigham Young's reference where he was soon hired as the school teacher.
Charles Edwin Pearson, a young English convert, was a lawyer and well educated for those days. He emigrated to Salt Lake Valley about 1857 and lived at the Daniel Wood home. He later married and built a home on a piece of the Wood Farm. On 28 January 1863, Charles Edwin Pearson was legally adopted by Daniel Wood as his legal son, and he wrote much of the diary of Daniel Wood and family.
Daniel Wood school was 12th District School and had later thirty-five to forty pupils. Among them were three Lamanite children which were given to Daniel and Peninah's care in 1849, and who were treated as family members. They were called Lucy Wood, seven years" who became a very good scholar, Mary Utah Wood, quiet and shy, supposed to be nine years old, Thomas Wood, a cousin of Lucy, supposed to be eight years old. The three were obedient kind and good. They were baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 16 June 1857.
Subjects taught in the school were according to minutes of an examination meeting held at close of the fourth school for summer vacation on 3 July 1863. A Brother Campbell was the examiner of common schools at this time, but was unable to be present and sent questions and rules to Charles E. Pearson who conducted the examination, which lasted from 2:00 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. The examination consisted of the following: Reading Class, read in the Bible, and also a Reader, the McDuffy first to fourth, questions topics read. Second Class Reading, Third McDuffy Reader and spelling class. The second-class read Second Reader with questions and spelling. Junior or small children reading a chart, questions, then Geography Class, Grammar Class, Writing Class. Books examined, then Arithmetic examination on blackboard in turns, long division, times tables, multiplication, addition; the English money, American money, weights, measures, tray and averdepoiz; long as to cloth, square as to land, time and some astronomy measures, days of week and month, the Ten Commandments.
Next Part Two: A song by students, I Wish I Was in Dixie, some recitations by students, Poems and readings, each student taking part. Part Three: Song, Gentle Annie by the students, question on plants and nature. The trades or colonists, every trade talked about by someone of the pupils, questions asked by teacher, all verbal answers. Part Four: Songs, scripture passages memorized and poems recited on Five Recitations written by Charles Pearson for this occasion. Parents and general public were invited and the Wood Family Meetinghouse was well filled. For best Arithmetic student, fancy lead pencils were presented to Daniel Wood, Jr. For best all around scholars, Phebe J. Clark, Ann J. Peel, and Martha Clark. For best behavior one was given to Melvina Wood. Brother Archer passed on examinations and made encouraging remarks to students. Brother Daniel Wood arose and advised the students and invited all to come to his school who wished. The Ten Commandments was then sung and the audience arose and were dismissed at 5:30 p.m. by Brother Archer. (These minutes copied from Daniel Wood Diary.)
In 1863 Daniel Wood built his family meeting house under Brigham Young's council. The building was of adobe brick, fifty by thirty feet with a bell tower in which tower was the wonderful bell brought across the plains by ox team and measured twenty inches wide at the bottom by two and one half feet high. It rang fifteen minutes before school and evening family meetings held once a week on Wednesday usually, and more often for other occasions. School was held for his family and any who desired to attend, for almost twenty-seven years. His home was destroyed by fire in 1889. The home was rebuilt except for the schoolroom. The family meetinghouse was later torn down.
Unfortunately no pictures were ever taken.
Copied from the Diary of Daniel Wood
by Josephine Wood Naylor
Retyped from photocopy by
Norma Jean M. Wood
19 October 1990