DEDICATION OF DANIEL WOOD CEMETERY
Pres. Moyle Great-Grandson of Daniel Wood dedicates marker honoring Woods Cross founder
BOUNTIFUL -- Family organizations serve to anchor us to our Heavenly Father and to our fellow men. President Henry D. Moyle of the First Presidency told a group of more than 100 descendants of Daniel Wood on Sunday afternoon.
President Moyle, himself a great-grandson of the pioneer founder of the community of Woods Cross, spoke at the dedicatory rites for a new monument honoring Daniel Wood.
The monument was erected by the family organization in the 75-foot-square cemetery where the pioneer and nearly 30 members of his family are buried.
"As we grow older, with deeper appreciation for the love of our mothers and fathers, we realize that this love was born in the heavens," President Moyle said. We cannot fully love our own parents if we do not love their parents, he told the group.
Following his talk, President Moyle offered a dedicatory prayer. the monument, a Georgia granite slab 3 1/2 feet high by 7 feet wide and 10 inches thick stands in the center of the cemetery. A box was placed in the base containing the names of donors to the monument and a history of Daniel Wood.
George C. Wood, president of the family organization, conducted the services. The monument was unveiled by Albert Mabey, former president of the group.
The cemetery was first dedicated as a burial plot in 1858. It was then in the middle of Daniel Wood's farm. Highway 91 now runs past the iron-fenced plot. The family recently completed a project of renovating the cemetery.
Week Ending April 7, 1962 [Only source given]
Typed from photocopy of original by Norma Jean M. Wood 7 July 1991